Harley Davidson Forums banner

carb problems

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  pacman552SD 
#1 ·
Hi everyone . I'm here with a few questions. I just bought a 89 sportster 1200 with a cv carb . The previous owner took the carb apart to clean it and ever since then the bike won't run right. The bike starts and idles fine . If you snap the throttle open then closed it revs up fine . But if you snap it open and hold it or if you just slowly open it the bike sputters and dies . After reading up on this carb and having a little experience with carbs I have a few ideas what to do but I would like to know if you guys know of any other causes of problems like this. I already ordered a gasket kit for the carb and plan of checking for intake leaks before i tear the carb off.

So far my ideas of the issue are
1. Plugged main or needle jet
2. Damaged needle
3. Improperly installed collar on the main jet were the needle rides into
4. Missadjusted float

#3 ·
That collar is the needle jet. Doesn't look seated all the way, or it is upside down.

Whoever "cleaned" that carb should have their tools taken away from them.

Looks like they used a vice grip on the accelerator pump nozzle. :nah

#8 ·
the bike runs and drives now. still has some driveablilty issues. at low rpm cruising it is missing/coughing through the carb every 5-10 seconds, as you get more into the throttle the issue get more frequent at wot the engine stumbles/coughs every 1-2 seconds. got a carb rebuild kit on the way so i can thoroughly go through the carb and clean everything, going to inspect the slide diaphram. and going to replace the carb to intake seal and see if that solves my issues.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.