Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I let life get in the way of riding for to long and let some gas get nasty in the carb. I cleaned the diaphragm, got some fresh fuel and got it going fairly easily. However, now it won't stay running without the enricher open and the throttle doesn't respond right away. All the likely causes based on the carb troubleshooting section in the manual point to jetting and/or needle and seat problems. My question is, should I just plan on rebuilding the carb to correct those problems? It's a CV40 and I'm fairly :think confident I could do it will Dave's tutorial, but idk if that's completely necessary or not. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
South GA Redneck
3,898 Posts
I would say buy a carb rebuild kit. Take the carb apart, soak it in some cleaner overnight, then rebuild it. It should take care of you problems.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
I would say buy a carb rebuild kit. Take the carb apart, soak it in some cleaner overnight, then rebuild it. It should take care of you problems.
^^^This^^^ Your going to be amazed at how well it will run when your done.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Can't allow 10% ETHANOL to sit more than a month without mixing either seafoam or MMO or some other specific ingredient to counter-act the damning effects of this OBAMA mandated crap !

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Make sure you replace the dime size accelerator pump, and clean the passage out. Amazing how much crud gets in that tiny area.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Don't blame it on Obama. This @hits been around a lot longer the he has.

Can't allow 10% ETHANOL to sit more than a month without mixing either seafoam or MMO or some other specific ingredient to counter-act the damning effects of this OBAMA mandated crap !

·
Retired citizen
23,391 Posts
If the bike sat long enough for the fuel to go bad then I would suspect that the pilot jet is plugged up. That's why it only runs with the enrichener opened.
As stated, time for a rebuild kit. No jets come with the rebuild kits, need to purchased separate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts