Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 harley davidson 883 sportster
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I am trying to my 2002 883 sportster to run better. I have 45 pilot jet, 185 main, drag pipes. This was done before I bought it. I have no top end speed. Checked a bunch of other things. I was going to try and tune the carbs. Is there a way to do this from starting from scratch? In regards to the idle and air fuel mixture? I do not have a tachometer on the bike.

Thanks

·
Registered
461 Posts
It's an 02. Before you think about tuning the carburetor, clean the carburetor. Take it apart. Clean it.

Next, get rid of the drag pipes.

·
Banned
1998 Harley Davidson FXDL low rider " Dynasor"
829 Posts
If its a 40mm cv carb, they are super easy to work on. But cheaper to buy a new repro one that has all the jets u need. Put one on my 98 fxdl 1340 runs very well $65, eBay, and I run 45 low 180 high. rebuid kit is $25 and no jets. 185 on high on 883 sounds a bit high do you have drag pipes? Its easy to rejet, but like he said clean first. Which means removal, then replace the fun useless philips head screws. With stainless allen heads. Then if you need to rejet you can get float bowl off easy, unscrew old jets. Without removing carb. Me I check my plugs to look for rich and lean as well as pop, backfire on decel indicates lean mixture. I bet if your ais screw is adjusted corecctly after removal and cleaning. Try a 180 high jet. Higher number is not always better, your bike will let you know. I have a cv carb sitting on bench if you need pic for any reason be glad to help.

·
Registered
2002 harley davidson 883 sportster
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If its a 40mm cv carb, they are super easy to work on. But cheaper to buy a new repro one that has all the jets u need. Put one on my 98 fxdl 1340 runs very well $65, eBay, and I run 45 low 180 high. rebuid kit is $25 and no jets. 185 on high on 883 sounds a bit high do you have drag pipes? Its easy to rejet, but like he said clean first. Which means removal, then replace the fun useless philips head screws. With stainless allen heads. Then if you need to rejet you can get float bowl off easy, unscrew old jets. Without removing carb. Me I check my plugs to look for rich and lean as well as pop, backfire on decel indicates lean mixture. I bet if your ais screw is adjusted corecctly after removal and cleaning. Try a 180 high jet. Higher number is not always better, your bike will let you know. I have a cv carb sitting on bench if you need pic for any reason be glad to help.
Hey, thank you for the reply and advice. I appreciate it. It does have drag pipes unfortunately. I do want to change them. I pulled the plugs and they were pretty white. I ordered the new screws and should be here monday.

·
Banned
829 Posts
Hey, thank you for the reply and advice. I appreciate it. It does have drag pipes unfortunately. I do want to change them. I pulled the plugs and they were pretty white. I ordered the new screws and should be here monday.
You don't need to change them, was just wondering for jetting, as exhaust and intake affect how u want to jet. White plugs indicaten lean mixture. Your ais screw in back under carb richens and leans. Usual deal is 2.5 turns out after lightly seated. If you need to turn it out more than 3 turns need bigger low jet. I don't think you do. May be a plug where the ais is will require removal anyway to clean. Gl you will get it.

·
Registered
461 Posts
cheaper to buy a new repro one that has all the jets u need.
$65, eBay,

I've seen them for as low as $40 on ebay.

These are parts from a Chinese company. The people who own manufacturing companies in China are not investing into machines to produce a fake carburetor copy, that hasn't been sold on a new bike since 2006. Once upon a time, those companies were contracted to produce the carburetor or it's parts. So they were making them for Keihin or Harley. Now, they are forced to sell these parts off on the open market, or go out of business with however much unsold inventory, and a factory full of equipment tooled to produce an obsolete carburetor.

Another thing to keep in mind, is if you buy a parts kit or rebuild kit, those parts are probably the same parts from the same Chinese factory.

Remember how SYM was making all sorts of parts for Honda, for decades, and suddenly sold a SYM motorcycle which was suspiciously just like a Honda? All of the same parts, from the same factories.

·
Banned
829 Posts
Yes they are the same parts, and you can get them for $40, and its new, clean and not worn. He's getting the allens, they will fit the repro. Mine works very well. I bought one for a bit more, $65 it came with 3 low and 3 high jets as well as the jets in it I suggest make sure u get one with float bowl overflow as some don't. Replace the intake donut seal as well. Available separate. I found the machine work quality on mine to be very good.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I agree. Those online carbs work fine. And it's a lot easier than trying to refurbish an old carb. A real pain trying to clean out all of the internal passages. And if you completely rebuild the carb, with the fuel pump and vacuum slide.......you may spend more on parts than just buying a new carb. Since rebuilding the carb is taking it apart, cleaning it, and then reassembling with new parts. I would suggest not to use those junk fuel lines, the clip on hose clamps, that 1 junk spark plug, and that fuel filter that comes with the eBay and Amazon carbs. I think, and it's just my opinion, because I've done it - is that people rebuild the carbs just so that the carb body sitting on the bike is OEM and has Harley Davidson stamped on it.

·
Banned
829 Posts
Pic of carb eBay I bought, It works very well. $25 for drag specialty carb kit can of carb cleaner, $9, plus your time. Being new no worn parts. Extra jets at least $10 each, your going to want a few. Monetarily its cheaper and faster to buy new. I rebuilt the old sadly it was worn out. The repro runs super.

·
Banned
829 Posts
I agree. Those online carbs work fine. And it's a lot easier than trying to refurbish an old carb. A real pain trying to clean out all of the internal passages. And if you completely rebuild the carb, with the fuel pump and vacuum slide.......you may spend more on parts than just buying a new carb. Since rebuilding the carb is taking it apart, cleaning it, and then reassembling with new parts. I would suggest not to use those junk fuel lines, the clip on hose clamps, that 1 junk spark plug, and that fuel filter that comes with the eBay and Amazon carbs. I think, and it's just my opinion, because I've done it - is that people rebuild the carbs just so that the carb body sitting on the bike is OEM and has Harley Davidson stamped on it.
How true! I just posted same advice lol, you know the deal. Tc

1 - 10 of 10 Posts