Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always wondered which fuel distribution system type was superior as far as performance goes. I know fuel injection is supposed to be more reliable, but how about performance? Can you do more enhancements to a carburetor therefore have an advantage over the fuel injected motor. I have owned both, but never been able to compare apples to apples. My '06 1200 Custom is supposed to be the last Sportster with a carburetor. I would like to compare an '06 to an '07. The '07 being fuel injected. Anybody know?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Injection is far more superior regarding performance. It contains an ECU which monitors the a/f and can be tuned based on Barometric PSI, Elevation, Temps and yadda, yadda, yadda.

A closed loop system monitors the functions and if equiped with wideband sensors, will adjust for everything to a high altitude idle to a sea level WOT and if the ECU is fast enough, will do it in real-time and be fuel efficient as well.

A carb is basically a controlled fuel leak. Much more advanced since the day the Harley brothers made one from a Tomato soup can, but in reality, still the same.

Jetting and needle height will only get you so close to "Optimum" A/F throughout the entire rev range and it is what it is....

Some people like carbs due to their simplicity, while others like EFI due to it's no nonsense, self-adjusting reliability.

I'm fortunate enough, Martin, to have grown up during the change over and got good educations in both. I love them both, and both have their purposes.

I cruise.... I have a carb.

When I raced, I had EFI.

I love them both.

Now ask me to decide between bewbies and beer, and we're gonna tangle.....:D:D

Excellent thread Marvin.

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
DAVE'S ON A ROLL TODAY :nod:nod: ,, MARVIN ! MAN YOU LOOK SERIOUS !!!!!:D

·
Registered
39,467 Posts
I like carbs. Ive taken trips that went from 1800 ft ASL to 10,000 ft ASL with no problems.

EFI would probably gain me ~5 hp on my bike, but then again, I've never seen anyone able to push start an EFI bike.

6 of one, half a dozen of the other.... really not enough of a difference to worry about.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
6 of one, half a dozen of the other.... really not enough of a difference to worry about.
I agree, Brian. Maybe on a dyno, but in the real world, on the street..... it's all good.:thumb

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Yep... Have owned FI and carbed bikes, riding at all kinds of elevations, in the dead of winter, etc... and despite being different, they both have their plusses and they both deliver well imo.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, I guess all things considered, I should have waited a year and bought a '07 Fuel injected Sportster instead of my '06 Carbed one.
That's me. Always a day late and a dollar short.

By the way, looks can be deceiving. This is my Macho look to impress the ladies. It doesn't work, but what the heck. At my age every little thing helps. Ain't dat right Lil...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts