Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
93' Sportster 883.

I came on here previously bc the bike would not run. I cleaned out the carburetor and now it runs, but is showing other simptoms:
-untill it gets really warmed up, hitting the throttle causes the engine to die. upon warming up, it only has this problem a little.
-seems like it does not get idle fuel until it gets warmed up either. I have to keep quick jerking the throttle, almost causing it to die, to get it the fuel it needs. Choke is pulled all the way.
-fuel is burning really black and rich. Does not burn oil.

Again, Ran fine last fall. any solutions?
Thanks.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Fresh Gas? Tap lightly on the float bowl?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Have you cleaned the pilot jet and it's passage?

If it's running rich, turn the choke off. The choke is only to START the bike and only to be left on for a SHORT period of time afterwards.

If it runs rich AFTER choke has been turned off, then suspect issue with float needle or float level.

If it's running that rich, you should replace the spark plugs and try it again. Fouled plugs will cause all kinds of issues once they're fouled and you'll still think it's the carb.

Fresh Gas?
Ditto. If it's still the same gas that screwed up the carb from LAST YEAR, then drain it and put in fresh fuel. It may be water contaminated as well, as what you're talking about sounds that way, too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am having the same problem with my 01 XL883C, I am in the process of getting a carb rebuild kit hoping this will solve my problem. I am also going to drain the tank and replace the fuel filter hoping this will fix the problem.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
I am having the same problem with my 01 XL883C, I am in the process of getting a carb rebuild kit hoping this will solve my problem. I am also going to drain the tank and replace the fuel filter hoping this will fix the problem.
The only "filter" you have is an screen that's inside the tank, after removing the petcock.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Well is their a way to be able to clean it so that if there is trash in it it can be cleared??
Remove it, and wash it off with carb cleaner or brake clean and/or blow it out. Pay attention to how you take the petcock off because it can be a bitch to reseal sometimes.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
wonder what kind of condition enricher valve seals etc are in on those year models. That's kinda a weak link too if it's not closing right or the top gasket aint sealing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts