Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have gas leaking out of the carb, coming out of the overflow.. someone told me the float valve needle was stuck open,Can someone explain how this happens

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cleaned the hell out of the carb... Float goes up and down, no problem & the valve needle does too... How does it get stuck though

·
South GA *******
3,898 Posts
It could just have a small piece if trash keeping it from sealing. Or it have gunk built up around the seat from this new ethanol gas. Or the seat could be deteriorated. Or as previously stated float may be out of adjustment.

·
South GA *******
3,898 Posts
It could also e the tank vent is clogged and causing pressure to build up in tank, this pushes he fuel out the carb.

·
Retired citizen
24,275 Posts
The float needle doesn't necessarily stick open, the viton tip might have a small groove worn into it where it seats. Inspect the viton tip for a groove, if there's a groove replace the needle.

·
Poser Member # 99
18,137 Posts
If you take bowl off the carb and find crap in the bottom of it . You probally have a torn strainer filter in the tank a bad fuel filter and the dirt is keeping the needle open and letting the fuel to continue to flow. or A bad needle or a float out of adjustment .

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
If you take bowl off the carb and find crap in the bottom of it . You probally have a torn strainer filter in the tank a bad fuel filter and the dirt is keeping the needle open and letting the fuel to continue to flow. or A bad needle or a float out of adjustment .
Fuel line deteriorates and small rubber bits flow to carb.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Could the float itself be bad/ have a hole in it?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Flux capacitor?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Do you have one?

If so Susan's Camaro can get us up to 88 mph in a hurry.:D
When my bike hits 88 mph, I see serious shit......

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm about to put a rag in the tank & light it!!!! This is pissing me off.... Float is fine & adjusted correctly, put in a new float needle, new diaphragm, new gaskets everywhere... Had the bike painted couple months ago, fixed the hoses that needed to be fix... Bike was running great before I started working on the carb.... I DID NOT remove the carb from the bike to work on it...I kept the choke cable attached and the hose directly in the back of the carb in.. Still leaking gas!!!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Remove the carburetor, clean it thoroughly, replace the fuel supply hose.

Inspect the sealing surface (the "seat")on the carb.

Inspect the sealing surface on the needle.

Where did you get the needle from?

Some places sell some crappy carb parts, especially the needles...

If it is a dealer part it should be one of the good ones.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts