Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 shop built bike. I'm sure on brand of frame no the serial number begins with 1ST. It has an S&S crankcase 92 to 1999 with a 3 5/8 bore. 80ci Harley jugs, Harley crank, and stock heads. With a Riviera Primo 6-speed transmission. I did not build this bike this is the way I it came when I bought it.

I just bought a custom built engine Perma guy locally for 600 bucks. It's a custom S&S 84 to 91 crankcase with a 4 inch bore, Shumaker racing jugs, with 3.812 pistons(cant seem to find new pistions and the a small valve mark on one piston), and according to S&S the crank assembly is custom built by them 4 1/4 stroke with a 81/4 diameter flywheel.

Now that I got all the specs out of the way. I need to know, will the 84 to 91 S&S engine case fit my frame that has the 92 to 99 S&S case?From what I read on the S&S site the primary cover should bolt right up. Also trying to locate pistons and get some ideas on heads for this build.
15805219692063289219290372387551.jpg
15805220036201617681148283871393.jpg

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
The engine block will bolt up to your frame ok. The thing you need to find out is what trans/primary the frame was built for. There are "long" case primary's (softail & dyna) and short case (fxr and flh). Usually, if the frame has a downtube between the rear motor mount and trans., it will be a long case frame.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The engine block will bolt up to your frame ok. The thing you need to find out is what trans/primary the frame was built for. There are "long" case primary's (softail & dyna) and short case (fxr and flh). Usually, if the frame has a downtube between the rear motor mount and trans., it will be a long case frame.

The frame has a down tube and It is a softail setup.

·
Outlaw
560 Posts
If your frame is set up for the EVO it should drop right in.
As for pistons contact the folks at UEM Pistons about a set of KB twin super duty's.
Also, you need to know what cam your going to run before ordering pistons. Personally, I'd stick with a 600 or less just to keep it reliable with plenty of torque, but to each his own.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
T
If your frame is set up for the EVO it should drop right in.
As for pistons contact the folks at UEM Pistons about a set of KB twin super duty's.
Also, you need to know what cam your going to run before ordering pistons. Personally, I'd stick with a 600 or less just to keep it reliable with plenty of torque, but to each his own.
I talked the UEM and was told they do not have a pistion for that setup. JE told me the might have a set for $390 the 800-420c. I have to get a new caliper to retake measurements from wrist pin to top of pistion. Just trying to find other options. The 4 1/4 stroke to the 3.812 bore size is killing me I might have to go custom.

I was looking at going under 600 on the cam. Heres a link to the cam Lunati Voodoo .

Also just picked up a set of ultima heads cheap 93-90 & 91. Ultima dont list the specs for their heads on their site or I'm just miss them some where.

·
Outlaw
560 Posts
UEM didn't have a set of pistons you could have it bored to fit?? Hmmmmm
Maybe check with S&S if you haven't already.

That cam is pretty mild, but not everyone wants a hotrod. LoL

Ultima heads aren't bad, but go with S&S or at least some better springs. Seen too much carnage from the springs Ultima uses breaking, then the retainers fall off, valve drops, oops. Nothing beats quality, even if your not building a speed demon.

·
weird member
2,167 Posts
I don't have much experience with Midwest/Ultima, my wheels are that and I looked them up and they're half the cost of any other brand for pretty much everything, there's probably a good reason why. Ask me how useless the V-Twin Manufacturing outter primary cover was that I got because it was half the cost of others (hint, it was totally useless, the $100 I saved on it was only partly counted for having to install the starter bushing myself, which was impossibly hard and I spent more than $100 worth of time clearancing out the chrome everywhere then had a time trying to get a few of the bolts on as it didn't line up exactly right on a few holes, and then the stupid thing leaked instantly).

Now, I'm not saying budget, half-price parts can't be good. The Ultima wheels I have seem relatively well-made, though like a Harbor Freight tool, I replaced some of the cheap guts (big inner spacer, bearings, etc) with quality parts. And don't get me wrong, I got cheap stuff from HF that was actually decent quality and worked. And yeah, the hub area and how the spokes are threaded is kind of ugly but... well the wheels were free, they came on the bike from the guy I bought it from.

It's just, you definitely take your chances at a certain price.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Definitely planning on going through and redoing the Ultima heads. I'm looking at a couple of different spring options leaning toward some S&S bee hive Springs.

I finally decided that I am going to go with a 33-5058 S&S 600 cam. Seems like a decent cam that's not going to be Overkill.

From what I know on these Ultima heads they are 94 CC with a valve size of 2.10 intake and 1.70 exhaust. I might be wrong on the cc's because I have not physically checked just going off what I have researched.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts