Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Wayward Son
23,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a 2 or 3 light catseye dash for a 99 FXST.
Can find them for 2k and newer.
HD change the tanks after 99?

·
Retired citizen
24,163 Posts
I think the diameter of the speedos changed. Has something to do with the trip knob too. Also the stud that holds the dash down is in a different location, above the switch on the stock dash and below the switch on the true cateye dash.

·
Wayward Son
23,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the diameter of the speedos changed. Has something to do with the trip knob too. Also the stud that holds the dash down is in a different location, above the switch on the stock dash and below the switch on the true cateye dash.
Thanks Schmidty.
Had thought maybe the contour of the tank had changed. Either more or less. May have been able to make up for it with the base dash trim.
Does seem I remember reading about different diameter speedos now that you mention it.

If that is the case then won`t be so easy. Looks like I`ll wind up staying with the stock dash.

·
Retired citizen
24,163 Posts
I had a cateye dash on my '81 Shovel and converted to the original 5 light setup when I rewired my bike. The cateye fit the tank contour perfect but the original doesn't. I don't have the original flat side tanks tho, I think mine are Softail tanks.
I was looking at the dashes in my J&P catalog and I think if you got any of those dashes you could fit them up as long as the hold down stud is in the correct location.
I had to install the whole dash kit when I did mine, base on up. That way the hold down stud location matched up with the new dash. The cateye stud didn't.

·
Retired citizen
24,163 Posts
Oh ya, my speedo from the cateye dash is smaller than the hole is in my 5 light dash. Had to wrap some window insulation strips around the speedo to fill the gap. Made it work tho ! Also had to use filler strips along the bottom of the 5 light dash to close the gap where it contacts the tank contour.
I've got some pics stored here, I'll see if I can find them and post 'em up.

·
Wayward Son
23,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I go the catseye route I was figuring on getting the entire kit.
Coincidence... Put a catseye on my 83 Shovel. But it was only the 2 light model.
If I remember, I connected the oil pressure and high-beam indicators.
Left the neutral indicator off.
Usually pulled in the clutch when starting anyways. :dunno

·
Wayward Son
23,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh ya, my speedo from the cateye dash is smaller than the hole is in my 5 light dash. Had to wrap some window insulation strips around the speedo to fill the gap. Made it work tho ! Also had to use filler strips along the bottom of the 5 light dash to close the gap where it contacts the tank contour.
I've got some pics stored here, I'll see if I can find them and post 'em up.
On my 83 the speedo diameter was ok. But the contour of the tank and dash did not match,
Could use the trim strip that came with it. But barely.
A little super glue between the strip and dash did the trick.

·
Retired citizen
24,163 Posts
I figgered out a long time ago if ya got some parts ya can make them fit on any old Harley ! Even old car parts !

·
Wayward Son
23,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I figgered out a long time ago if ya got some parts ya can make them fit on any old Harley ! Even old car parts !
Found a 3 light kit that might fit.
Some others out there but they include a speedo that I do`t really need. And of course along with the speedo, up goes the cost.

·
Retired citizen
24,163 Posts
Big gap at the tank without that filler strip along the bottom of the dash.

·
Wayward Son
23,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Schmidty. That is close to the setup I had on the Shovel. But was able to use the trim from the original dash.
That trim looks about twice the width or more.

·
Retired citizen
24,163 Posts
Trying to find some pics of the finished project. Complete stem to stern by the book wiring job.
I didn't realize I have so many untitled pic files on this computer. Tough to find what I'm looking for !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts