Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed Harley CB in my 2018 SG. I had a handle bar mounted CB that never really worked well on the SG. I have all Harley parts--CB, 32" antenna, communication port and the PTT right hand switch. Simple install--all plug and play.
I get extreme static and range isn't very good. I used an swr meter and the readings are in the red for all channels. I tested the cable with a multimeter and it has continuity, tested the cable to the antenna stud and has continuity. I also grounded the relocation bracket--no change. I also borrowed a Harley shorty antenna and there was no change in the swr readings. I have read that I should use 18' of cable to offset the antenna haven't bought that yet, cant find the 90 degree bend connecter where the cable screws into the antenna stud.
I am hoping I can get some direction here on what to do next. Again sorry for the long post
Thanks

·
Registered
537 Posts
You won't get good SWR without a good ground plane, which a motorcycle doesn't have because of its size. There are a couple of things you can try to improve this, steel plate under tour Pac, marine antenna and such. I'd suggest that you ride over to your local truck stop, most of them have a CB shop and they can probably help you. Lengthening the coax does not help true SWR. It will however fool a cheap resistance reading SWR meter into thinking the SWR has improved.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
CB shop is good suggestion... don't want to transmit into high SWR.. could ruin finals on radio.
plate might be heavy...could try wire mesh screen. good ground plane makes big difference...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Let us know what you find out. I’m having the very same issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Folks,
Thank you for all your advice and hard work trying to make CBs work on our Harleys. I added all the factory bells and whistles (including CB) to the Boom Audio head unit a couple of years ago on my 2017 Tri-Glide. Let me say my experience is less than satisfactory also. Dealers response to poor reception/transmission was to go to a truck stop.

My understanding is there's a trimmer (of some kind) inside the module for the CB but, it has been optimized for our application (validation required). No adjustment necessary.
So how much do we have to enlarge the ground plane to get this to work better?
Wire mesh lining the inside of the Tour Pak lid perhaps?
Sincerely,
Leg_one

1 - 7 of 7 Posts