Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be taking the carb of my 2006 883 next week for routine maintenance. I have a new chrome top with fitting for relocating the enrichener knob.

Looking at the routing for the cable, I need to change the angle of the brass fitting for the fuel line a little bit. To insure enough room for the enrichener cable, i want to turn it counter clockwise (down) maybe 5 0r 6 degrees. This will move the fuel line in slightly, making room for the cable.

I see that this is a press fit part (the fuel line fitting) and am concerned that torquing it slightly may affect the seal between the carb and the fitting.

Can i safely twist the fitting a bit to make room for the cable?

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
If your fitting is solid brass, maybe you can move it, but not likely. They are a very tight press fit. If your's has a black plastic piece that the fuel line slips over, definately not, the plastic will break.
The good news is ou can get a new inlet for about $10 to your door, and install it at the angle you want.
harley carb fuel inlet | eBay

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
I am going to be taking the carb of my 2006 883 next week for routine maintenance. I have a new chrome top with fitting for relocating the enrichener knob.

Looking at the routing for the cable, I need to change the angle of the brass fitting for the fuel line a little bit. To insure enough room for the enrichener cable, i want to turn it counter clockwise (down) maybe 5 0r 6 degrees. This will move the fuel line in slightly, making room for the cable.

I see that this is a press fit part (the fuel line fitting) and am concerned that torquing it slightly may affect the seal between the carb and the fitting.

Can i safely twist the fitting a bit to make room for the cable?

I wouldn't. Can you adapt over the fitting? That fitting should be factory fitted, I think. I wouldn't mess with that.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldn't. Can you adapt over the fitting? That fitting should be factory fitted, I think. I wouldn't mess with that.
I took a close look at the fitting. It is the hose clamp that is in the way, not the fitting. All I need to do is rotate the clamp and I should have sufficient clearance for the cable.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
I took a close look at the fitting. It is the hose clamp that is in the way, not the fitting. All I need to do is rotate the clamp and I should have sufficient clearance for the cable.

That's good news right there! That, I would do.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Fuel elbow is press fit. I apply threadlock red on install. Plastic ones are not movable. Will break. Brass ones are. Has to be done off the bike to be safe......

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fuel elbow is press fit. I apply threadlock red on install. Plastic ones are not movable. Will break. Brass ones are. Has to be done off the bike to be safe......
New problem: Interference from AC backing plate. I'm not sure it can be resolved since the part is hollow and mates to the breather in the head.

will attach pictures when i wake up.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Anything can be resolved with enough motivation, a torch and a hammer.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anything can be resolved with enough motivation, a torch and a hammer.
The problem here is the Arlen Ness backing plate. The attachement points at the head are hollow for oil flow so i can't just grind one away to make a little space.

Sure, I could grind a flat and braze a piece of steel on to maintain the integrity of the channel, but that is a lot of work for the 5/16 of an inch I need for a clean install.

I want to relocate the enrichener so I can remount my coil horizontally. I like the symmetric look of the plug wires that way, but the pesky knob has to go someplace first.

There aren't a lot of options, even with a custom bracket (which I can easily manufacture).

I am trying to keep the lines clean, so just sticking something somewhere for the sake of moving it is not the right way to attack this.

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
it should be slanted back towards the bike at about a 45 degree angle. Is yours like this? I have the same setup on my scooter and there were no problems. As you can see by the pic it's kinda tight. It's really hard to see cause it's down inside the airfilter bracket.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it should be slanted back towards the bike at about a 45 degree angle. Is yours like this? I have the same setup on my scooter and there were no problems. As you can see by the pic it's kinda tight. It's really hard to see cause it's down inside the airfilter bracket.

The Arlen Ness backing plate takes up a ton of real estate. I have no desire to spend $200 for a different A/C just to make this mod.

When I pull the carb off the bike next weekend I will mock it up with the new cover and knob in place to see how much room i need and whether or not it is feasible to grind the support for the backing plate

1 - 14 of 14 Posts