Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I need some help. Im planing to change my stock tank to a sportster 48 tank. Since the street 750 fuel pump wont fit in the new tank i will use the 48 fuel pump.

Does anybody know if im gonna run into problems with that? Pressure issues? control issues?

Other suggestions how to get that done?

Appreciate your help!

cheers
mar

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its a street 750, 2015 model. The EFI pump i want to use is from a sportster, 2007 and up.

Cant say for sure which sportster model it will come from since i will just check where can i find a used one which will fit the tank.

Do i need to look for a pump from a specific year?

Thanks John!

·
Wayward Son
23,216 Posts
Would think psi./delivery rate would be the most important factor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The problem with the stock fuel pump is that I wont be able to fit it in the new tank.

Most likely the fuel pumps from the sportsters have a higher PSI / delivery rate. But i think higher pressure isnt the problem since there is a pressure valve which controls pressure / flow.

My main concern is if the boardcomputer will recognize the pump and is able to control it?

·
Wayward Son
23,216 Posts
You may be looking at a reflash.
If that is the case. Doubt you can do it as planned.
There is probably not a program available.

·
Retired citizen
22,878 Posts
EFI fuel pump assemblies don't have sensors, all the ECM does is turn them on and off.
I see a conflict arising with the instrument panel and fuel level signal.
I don't know off hand the pump specs between these model bikes but pump pressure needs to be high enough for the injectors to function. Fuel pressure regulators are non adjustable.
Also the Sportster tank tunnel needs to be wide enough to fit the Street's frame.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks alot SCHMIDTY!

The tunnel of the tank im looking at will fit. Im gonna look for the specs of the pumps now and make sure the new one does at least have as much pressure as the street one.

If anyone is interested i can post the progress here!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts