Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed the petcock on my 1997 sportser 1200. Since then when ever i start to run low low on fuel it will start to cut out. What is up with that? Do i need to change the type of gas cap?

·
Retired citizen
24,366 Posts
Low low on fuel means you're running out of gas !
Did you replace the petcock with a Harley part or aftermarket part ?
Are you running on the reserve setting ?

·
Retired citizen
24,366 Posts
Take a close look at the petcock markings. The reserve might be different than the original one. You might be running on reserve and switching to main.
Just saying cause I've seen this happen before.
Inside the tank the long tube on the petcock is the main side, the short one is the reserve.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
could be that the petcock opening is too small there by not letting enough fuel through it. engines love fuel the less restricted the better.

·
Retired citizen
24,366 Posts
I'm guessing he's got a Pingle. He didn't say.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Take a close look at the petcock markings. The reserve might be different than the original one. You might be running on reserve and switching to main.
Just saying cause I've seen this happen before.
Inside the tank the long tube on the petcock is the main side, the short one is the reserve.
Schmidty, I bet you nailed it, right there.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No simple question

Sorry, my bad for thinking i could get away with a simple question without enough details.
I replaced the petcock on my 1997 Sportser 1200C. Since that time whenever it starts to run LOW (not out but low(yes i am sure i am do NOT have it set on the reserve setting)) it will start to cut out. Does not die just cuts out and then will run for a little while(short little while because i know i am getting lower on fuel)fine. The petcock i took off had some type of vent hose connected to it. The petcock i replaced it with (after market and not a Pingel cannot remember the name but i am sure it was not a Pingel).
I see some answers saying it may not be getting enough fuel. I believe i read somewhere that i may have needed to replace the gas cap. Does or would this have anything to do with this problem? If not what type of petcock shopuld i start looking at?
Thank you for your help

·
Retired citizen
24,366 Posts
Your old OEM petcock had a vacuum line from the intake manifold connected to it, not a vent line. That was a safety feature that caused the petcock to close if the engine wasn't running. I'm sure your new petcock isn't the vacuum style.
You should have plugged that vacuum connection at the manifold after you replaced the petcock. The open vacuum port would cause the engine to stumble or cut out.
If you look at the front bottom on your gas tank you'll notice a vent port, looks like a hose would attach to it, and maybe there is. That is the tank vent, no need for a different gas cap.

·
Retired citizen
24,366 Posts
My bad. Don't plug the port on the manifold because that also supplies vacuum to the VOES. I would plug the "T" at the VOES that went to the petcock.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts