Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed to front wheel on my 08 Ultra and now the abs light is on. I have replaced to bearing 2x with. An encoded bearing. I am getting code c1021. Am I missing something? I checked the sensor wires look good and it's plugged in..the only thing I'm wondering is: does the sensor need to be indexed into a certain position? I know I have it in the correct way just not sure if it needs to be rotated. I am at wits end ready to bring into dealer but don't want to loose the bike for a week.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Retired citizen
23,196 Posts
Is the sensor bearing installed grey side out, orange side in ?
The sensor is directional, the wiring is routed up along the caliper.
The sensor is the spacer on that side, no other spacers used next to the sensor.
The stock 2008 ABS wheel hubs are specially machined to accommodate the ABS bearing with tone ring.
If the brake pads were spread to install the caliper and wheel the ABS pump module will need to be recalibrated on the shop Digital Tech computer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did have to put a small shim on the sensor side of the wheel...I also did spread the pads and replaced them...

·
Retired citizen
23,196 Posts
Ok, time for a trip to the shop. That code c1021 means the ABS is getting zero signal from the sensor.
Was that wheel you bought specified for ABS ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes he had a bearing installed as described...thought it was bad so replaced it with another one.would the spacer I had to put in there do this?its between the fork and the sensor.

·
Retired citizen
23,196 Posts
I can't say for sure if that spacer is the problem. The sensor and bearing tone ring need to be in close proximity to function. I don't remember seeing a spec for that dimension either.
Hopefully the mech that put the bearing in the wheel used the correct install tool and didn't just pound it in. That would damage the internal tone ring.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its was pressed in correctly...so frustrated I just dumped at dealer and said fix it!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The new wheel I had gotten had a 1" non abs bearing on the right side and a 25mm abs bearing on the left and the crush tube was the wrong length..I called the guy at the shop I got the wheel from and he's paying me back for there f...up...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1370131117.463261.jpg

Took out on a 100 mile poker run and not a problem from the abs!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Looks better than I thought it would. Is it an 80/90 or 90/90? What brand is it? And how does it handle road snakes and grooves. I just switched to a 90/90 21 from the 80/90 and the ride is so much better now. No more following snakes or grooves.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's a 120/70. It tracks great and I think it handles snakes fine almost like a stocker... I did notice the front wheel shutter at higher speeds is gone too!

·
Ride Hard
802 Posts
The new wheel I had gotten had a 1" non abs bearing on the right side and a 25mm abs bearing on the left and the crush tube was the wrong length..I called the guy at the shop I got the wheel from and he's paying me back for there f...up...

That's always cool when people stand behind their work. Glad your back on the road.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1 - 16 of 16 Posts