Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you look in your oil tank, how full should it be. I drained oil completely, changed the oil filter, put 3 liters back in, started the engine for 5 minutes, turned off, pulled oil dipstick out & oil level is 1/2 inch from spilling out sitting on lift. Don't understand.

·
Registered
951 Posts
My '07 Road King and my '09 Ultra I put four quarts back in with a filter change. And never had any issues or any oil blow by out the breather.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
If you look in your oil tank, how full should it be. I drained oil completely, changed the oil filter, put 3 liters back in, started the engine for 5 minutes, turned off, pulled oil dipstick out & oil level is 1/2 inch from spilling out sitting on lift. Don't understand.
Holds 3 quarts. Not 3 liters. You also never get all the old stuff out. Usually only get about 2.8 quarts in mine.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
The level should be about 1 inch below the bottom of the filler neck, with the bike upright. About 2-1/2 to 2-3/4 quarts.

·
Registered
134 Posts
If I remember correctly, the manual says the oil should be about half way between the "add" and "full" marks. Btw, I put in 2 3/4 quarts with a new filter.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Just wanted to know if we could get a update and see if you discovered anything???

·
Registered
141 Posts
I filled my old Sporty according to the manual, rode it for about 20 miles and blew a head gasket. Fortunately it was new and under warranty (I may not have told the dealership about my over fill). I learned the lucky way that the oil level is NOT what the manual says, but rather what fills the reservoir properly. Experience is a great teacher!:nod

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just wanted to know if we could get a update and see if you discovered anything???
I pulled about 1/2 liter out, ran it for 10 minutes & it stayed about an inch from the tank neck on lift & read about 1/2 inch below the hot mark on dipstick on kickstand. Guess 3 liters was a bit too much. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I guess people need to read their manuals that come with the bikes. Mine says my XL1200C holds 2.8 quarts. But, first put 4 oz. in the filter when installing it. Then it says put 2.0 quarts. in the oil tank. Now that does not make sense to me because 4 ounces is only .125 of a quart. I normally just put in the 4 oz. and then 2.5 quarts in the tank. The manual also says only check the engine oil at operating temperature and not with the bike straight up but rather sitting on the side (jiffy) stand. There is also a note that says don't overfill. There is a pressure relief valve in the tank that can cause problems.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess people need to read their manuals that come with the bikes. Mine says my XL1200C holds 2.8 quarts. But, first put 4 oz. in the filter when installing it. Then it says put 2.0 quarts. in the oil tank. Now that does not make sense to me because 4 ounces is only .125 of a quart. I normally just put in the 4 oz. and then 2.5 quarts in the tank. The manual also says only check the engine oil at operating temperature and not with the bike straight up but rather sitting on the side (jiffy) stand. There is also a note that says don't overfill. There is a pressure relief valve in the tank that can cause problems.
My owners manual says 3.5 quarts or 3.3 liters. I put in 3 and it was too much. Also says I can check oil when cold.

·
Fast Lane Crew
438 Posts
The manual also says only check the engine oil at operating temperature and not with the bike straight up but rather sitting on the side stand
Oil level on softails have to be checked with the bike standing upright and not while it's on the jiffy/side stand.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Softails are very prone to engine sumping. Because the oil can is elevated above the motor, the oil tends to weep down into the engine over time.

Before you change the oil on a Softail, it is a very good idea to run the by for a few minutes. Even take it out for a ride for 10 or 15 minutes. This allows the oil pump to pump the oil back up into the oil tank, and more oil will then drain.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 14 of 14 Posts