Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to make a couple changes as I am 6'5" and have changed the seat. I am going to wanting to add the handlebars Batwing Tallboy as well as an adding a backrest. I am hoping this eases some lower back pain when riding. Has anyone else made changes like this?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
IMMORTAL UNDEAD
904 Posts
If you change the bars go with at least 14" or even 16" because of your height.
KST Mayhems, or the Vindikta Bagger bars there are many choices but be warned if getting the Yaffe bars there is going to be a long wait in getting them they are nice bars but take awhile to get.
A backrest will be a must if going any type of long distance, and also highway pegs so you can stretch out your legs and change position.
Good luck in your mods.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Ric...I'm 6'1"...riding a 2011 Street Glide... I have the tall boy seat, which does help. I bought a HD backrest, that I do not use much. The biggest change I made was losing my floorboards and adding forward controls. There is a company in Arizona I bought mine from...Accutronix...they are not cheap but give me the extra leg room I need. You can also get them from other companies online. I've had mine 4 years now with zero issues.

·
Registered
273 Posts
i had the aucctronix on my honda vtx 1300c and loved them they are extend 6in and man what a difference i am going to put them on my Road King when money is right

·
Registered
298 Posts
I am 6'7" and my experience is limited to only 700km (438 miles) on the Tallboy Seat of my 2015 RK so beware of the limited nature of my advice.

These made hell of a difference for me. I now have a proper place to put my feet on and I now can shift without cramping my lower leg:

Extended Length Rider Running Boards-50500158 | Footboards & Mounts | Official Harley-Davidson Online Store
Billet Extended Reach Heel/Toe Shift Lever-33600001 | Levers & Linkages | Official Harley-Davidson Online Store

After such a limited time spent on board, I realized that the stock handlebar and the 16" stock windshield don't work for me so I placed my order for these:

Road King / Road Glide Tallboy Handlebar | Handlebars | Official Harley-Davidson Online Store
Replacement Windshield-58433-96 | Windshields | Official Harley-Davidson Online Store

Since the Tallboy Handlebar and the 22" windshield are not yet delivered to me I have no experience with them but I know that I need a taller handlebar and windshield.

I hope this helps.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
I wondered what you were doing in this thread Mike! LOL

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
Ric...I'm 6'1"...riding a 2011 Street Glide... I have the tall boy seat, which does help. I bought a HD backrest, that I do not use much. The biggest change I made was losing my floorboards and adding forward controls. There is a company in Arizona I bought mine from...Accutronix...they are not cheap but give me the extra leg room I need. You can also get them from other companies online. I've had mine 4 years now with zero issues.
Would love to see a pic of the forwards on

·
Methhead
2,574 Posts
Tallboy seat never did anything for me. I needed the Hammock seat to get my nuts off the gas tank and feel less cramped. Apes will be in my future. Hopefully this Spring.

·
245 Posts
I'm 6'2" and I've added the following to my Road King Classic for a comfortable ride:
Extended shifter (both heel and tow)
Extended brake pedal
Highway pegs
Floor board extensions
Bars
Mustang Solo seat with rider back rest

I have a set of Kuryakyn Iso Wings as my highway pegs. Mounted lower on the crash bar. I ride with my heel on the floor board, and my toe on the Iso Wing. This gives my legs a more comfortable ride, a little stretch forward and out to the side.
I also installed the extended shifters and brake. This gives more room to move your feet around the floor board. Instead of sticking you toe under the brake and the toe shift, them having to move your leg back and then up to change gears or brake.
The bars are just the Burly Road King II 1". The have a softer buck horn shape 1" taller rise and a 1" farther spread. It does make a difference when parking, since you are not pinned into your ribs with you elbows.

·
245 Posts
... 30821d1341411523t-road-king-pics-p7050003-2-.jpg

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
As already mentioned - the extended floor boards from Harley or the less expensive but still really nice Kuryakyn version. They move your floor boards out 1" and forward 2". I does not seem like much but it helps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts