Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changing Bars
I have a 2005 FXDWGI and would love to change the factory 18" mini apes with a drag bar.
Has anyone else been down this road?
Are cable changes in order?
Any advice is greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well I went the opposite direction of you but I would assume that it would be the same just in reverse. Unless you can find a creative way of running the major cables like your clutch, throttle etc I would guess that you would have way too much slack to deal with and would need to chance them out

It's not a terrible difficult process but it's tedious and time consuming for sure. The feeling of accomplishment outweighs any of that anyway.

The best way to get an idea of what length cables you need to get is to just go ahead and mock up the bars and run the cables to the place where they would be mounted, mark the cable there and measure (in your case subtract) the difference. It worked out perfectly for me.

I had to take the tank off in order to get to the wiring harness which i'm not sure you'll have to do, but you will have to find a way to tuck the remaining length of wires if you don't want to go through the process of cutting and re-splicing the wires. Had to take the cover plate off of the transmission to get to the clutch cable. The C clip in there is a real bitch but other than that it was pretty straight forward.

Once you have the cable lengths, the bike apart, and a few hours you're home free. It was a fun project for me and I assume you have some mechanical ability if you are thinking about tackling it yourself. I say go for it. The worst part is having the bike in dispose while you wait for parts to come in since you have to take it apart in order to measure, mine say there for several weeks in pieces because it was more of a hassle to put it back together and take it back apart.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts