Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by a tech at the local dealership that replacing pads on the front wheel on an ABS bike is very tricky... that you are not supposed to depress the pistons back, (forcing fluid back through the "ABS system") in order to make room for the new pads.
Is this true, or is it something that is ok to do? I've never had ABS before, and just don't know.
Mine really needs new pads, and I'd like to do it while I have the front wheel off, replacing wheel bearings.
Anybody have any experience with this issue?

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Well if it's "very tricky", I would think this topic would have come up more. I have changed my pads, front and rear, with no issues.

·
Retired citizen
23,667 Posts
After ABS pad changes the ABS module is supposed to be reset using the shop Digital Tech computer, per the service manual. The reset cycles the ABS pump and reprograms the pad position in the caliper.

·
Super Moderator
12,782 Posts
I was told by a tech at the local dealership that replacing pads on the front wheel on an ABS bike is very tricky... that you are not supposed to depress the pistons back, (forcing fluid back through the "ABS system") in order to make room for the new pads.
Is this true, or is it something that is ok to do? I've never had ABS before, and just don't know.
Mine really needs new pads, and I'd like to do it while I have the front wheel off, replacing wheel bearings.
Funny, I was about to send you this link thinking it was coincidental.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
to gtrman66.... yep. Coincidence. I'm a firm believer in asking a lot of questions from people that know a lot more than I do... which, unfortunately for me, includes nearly everyone.:laugh

I looked through my manual, and didn't notice anything about resetting the ABS. If I read it correctly, it just said to change them pretty much the same way you do the non-abs ones. I'll re-read it this evening to make sure.
If it has to be reset, no problem. I just hate to pay an hour of service time for someone else to do something I can easily do myself.

·
Just Ride
3,367 Posts
Do it yourself, don't turn on your bike till after you hit the front brakes a few times to get the pads against the rotors.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I'm not sure if the HD ABS is like ABS on a car, but when I used to do brakes for a living, we squeezed the caliper pistons back into the caliper the same way on an ABS system and a nonABS system.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Señor Member
19,668 Posts
I think the tech was trying to get some more business.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
I think the tech was trying to get some more business.
Techs give advice "by the book" most of the time. As well, if the guy replaces his own pads and something goes south, they can't come back and say "Well, the Tech told me....."

If the manual says connect the digital scanner, he usually does, and you get billed accordingly.

Not surprising, really.

·
Banned
90 Posts
changed my rears on my 09 FLHRC 5 days ago, when you push pistons back in with old pads still in place use a screw driver and do it slow, when caliper is re installed I pressed brake pedal lightly and slow only using half of pedal travel and letting pedal back up slow, didn't have no problem ABS works fine, guess fronts should be the same just do it slow and easy!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well... thanks for all the advice. I'm gonna do it myself. The big question now is, do I pay the $100 plus for two pairs of HD pads, or go with an aftermarket set for WAY less...

·
Registered
569 Posts
I saw a thread on here on just that question. Dave63 had a link to a website that had brake pads for less.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Saw the same thread just as mine were needing replacing. Bought the cheaper ones ($21 front, $24 rear from Dennis Kirk) and they work great. Just got back from a 1000 mile trip and noticed they stopped smoother and quieter than my old ones did.

·
Just Ride
3,367 Posts
Ebay. Complete set for under $40. Front and rear. 30k and wearing fine.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Ebay. Complete set for under $40. Front and rear. 30k and wearing fine.
Agreed. I paid $90 for a front set (4-pads) on a holiday weekend. No reason for such high prices other than to gouge customers.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
If you're worried about it crack the bleeder valve open and squeeze the piston closed until it's all the way in and close the bleeder valve

The way, the fluid doesn't go back up the system.. You could then top it off after if you're concerned with how much came out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Agreed. I paid $90 for a front set (4-pads) on a holiday weekend. No reason for such high prices other than to gouge customers.
Agreed.... that's just what I got through doing. I had already gone over a week off the bike... serious withdrawl. I bit the bullet (bent over and grabbed my ankles?) and got the pads from the stealership. $118 out the door... what a bargain.
Good news is that the pads are on the bike, and the test ride is done. Bike runs good, and more importantly, stops well. Thanks to all for the advice and encouragement. Next time will be aftermarket pads, without a doubt.
This is enough to make me anti-MoCo.... :fitz

This whole episode involved replacing front wheel bearings as well. I did buy an aftermarket bearing removal tool.. it was just over $80 and did the job very nicely. Pretty well made tool, overall. Same tool at the MoCo is around $300. :what?
Remember, it's not just a bike... it's a LIFESTYLE. :rollin

Yeah, right....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts