Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been a very long time since I did this. I need to replace the bulb in my xl1200c headlight. I took out the sealed beam and unplugged it.
What do I do next to get the old bulb out? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there is this rubber thing covering the backside and does not want to come off to get to the wire clamp. I would have thought it to just pop off, but it is really on good and tight. Like it covers the bulb end from the 3 prongs on down.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
The rubber thing is a boot. Slides off, but may be tight or sticky due to age.

·
Registered
556 Posts
The rubber thing is a boot. Slides off, but may be tight or sticky due to age.
That is exactly right. The heat from the bulb also has an affect. Use a little effort and it will slide off. Replace your bulb with a SilverStar from an autoparts store. They are brighter than stock and don't cost all that much. They draw the same power as stock. I think they are cheaper than the dealer sells stock.

·
Registered
326 Posts
That is exactly right. The heat from the bulb also has an affect. Use a little effort and it will slide off. Replace your bulb with a SilverStar from an autoparts store. They are brighter than stock and don't cost all that much. They draw the same power as stock. I think they are cheaper than the dealer sells stock.
Good timing and good tip...I was looking at an hd replacement bulb and the price was crazy...
My bulb went down the tubes at the end of last season.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
everything is good now. I got out my service manual and that helped.DUH!!
The tip about the light bulb is good but too late for me this time around. Thanks for the help from you all.

·
Wandering Evangelist
23 Posts
I appreciate the Silverstar tip as I used to use them for my Custom Bonneville SSEi (car) and they worked well in that application. Wondering if they are H4's though. A quick google should clear that up, again thanks XLReturnee.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Yes, they have Silverstars in H-4. H-4 refers to the bulb filament style our bikes take, what is referred too as a H-4, but is really a H-4,p43t bulb. While not common here in the states there are other H-4 bulbs.... such as a H-4 p45t.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I saw a video on youtube no long ago and they show step by step on how to replace the bulb. The video was uploaded by JP Cycles.

title: Replace an H4 Headlight Bulb on Harley-Davidson by J&P Cycles

Maybe the link works:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts