Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode my Harley about 1000-1500 miles last year (yeah yeah yeah, it's not too much). I changed the oils in April when I got it (both the engine and primary) along with a new filter of course.

my questions is, should I change it this year? I'm a big believer that oil doesn't go bad, it gets dirty...

I just wanted to know what you guys do. At least the guys that don't put alot of miles on their bikes. I figured I'd change the oil every 5K miles or so for the engine. no idea how often for primary/transmission I used Mobil 1 oil for the engine, and HD oil for the primary.

Thanks!

·
2,327 Posts
I change the "oils" every year no matter what. Sometimes twice, for sure every 5K. At your rate you may not change oils for 3-4 years. That's not good.
Really short money for the protection.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Startups and shutdowns count for as much or more than trips of several hundred miles. You're right about oil not breaking down (it was in the ground for millions of years and it's still oil, right? LOL) But condensation is a big enemy and most of the combustion by-products that compose the "dirt" in dirty oil happen during cold starts and short trips.

So, yes, change it at least once a year, regardless of mileage, IMO.

--

Reactions: 1/2 Ton

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Startups and shutdowns count for as much or more than trips of several hundred miles. You're right about oil not breaking down (it was in the ground for millions of years and it's still oil, right? LOL) But condensation is a big enemy and most of the combustion by-products that compose the "dirt" in dirty oil happen during cold starts and short trips.

--

Yes.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Change the oil at least once a year. Condensation causes acids to form and can prematurely damage an engine. If your mileage is only going to be 1000-2000 miles a year, it would behoove you to use synthetic in the engine, as synthetics provide better moisture and acid neutralizing than conventional oils. Twenty dollars or so a year is cheap insurance, compared to 2000-3000 dollar engine repairs!

·
Poser Member # 99
17,649 Posts

--
2 ND THIS IF I RIDE LESS THEN 3000 MILES I always change the oil in the spring gets rid of any condensation over the Michigan winters .

·
Registered
139 Posts
Lots of short infrequent trips falls under severe use. The OCI for severe use is 1500 miles. Even says so in the manual. During the winter and cold months when I'm lucky to get the oil temp in the tank to 180 I change mine at 1500.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys! I'll go pick some oil up tomorrow from HD and change it out.

I have to get that low profile oil pan thing they sell too... I didn't want to, but I have to, otherwise I can't get anything under my sportster lol

last year's oil change was a big mess because I tried to funnel the oil into an oil pan set aside, but it didn't work too well lol

so you guys change all the oils? I ask because car transmissions don't usually get an oil change as often as the engine oil.

It's not hard, take primary cover off, drain oil, refill with 1 qt. I just ask because I don't change my car's transmission oil every year and that's not the norm lol

·
Banned
1,357 Posts
What is the best oil to use in the engine and also what's best for the primary? I'm over the 10K mark now and really need to change it all.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thanks guys! I'll go pick some oil up tomorrow from HD and change it out.

I have to get that low profile oil pan thing they sell too... I didn't want to, but I have to, otherwise I can't get anything under my sportster lol

last year's oil change was a big mess because I tried to funnel the oil into an oil pan set aside, but it didn't work too well lol

so you guys change all the oils? I ask because car transmissions don't usually get an oil change as often as the engine oil.

It's not hard, take primary cover off, drain oil, refill with 1 qt. I just ask because I don't change my car's transmission oil every year and that's not the norm lol
For a pan I got a $3.00 pan at Walmart that fits under fine.

You do not have to take the primary cover off, and unless you can prop it standing up you will not get enough back in. Use the primary chain inspection cover to refill. On my 07 a quart of formula+ is the perfect amount.

·
Registered
39,458 Posts
What is the best oil to use in the engine and also what's best for the primary? I'm over the 10K mark now and really need to change it all.
Are you asking for a Sportster?

·
Banned
1,357 Posts
Are you asking for a Sportster?
No. I posted without looking at which forum it was in. But are they different?

We could start a riot here, or just suggest you look in your owners manual.
(Everybody has their own idea about oil)
I'll admit I was actually trying to start a riot. But I do really have questions as to which is best, but you cannot find anything on this forum or the web for that matter that shows synthetic is better or worse.

So yea, I'll look in the manual.

Carry on.

·
Registered
39,458 Posts
No. I posted without looking at which forum it was in. But are they different?
With Sportster, you have to take into consideration that the primary oil is shared with the transmission. On Big Twins, they are separate.

·
Registered
751 Posts
This has reminded me that I need to change my primary fluid.

Thanks

·
2,327 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Save money on low profile oil drain pan. I took a 1 gallon anti freeze type container and cut off the side until it fit under bike. Bike only has 3 qts of oil and then you have screw cap to empty. I keep mine and clean it out, but if you don't want to just get new plastic jug next oil change. I also used a 2 quart plastic bottle and cut off bottom and sides to fit under the oil filter and then again used screw cap to empty oil. I'm cheap but it works.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Use the Marvel Mystery Oil in your motor oil and in your gas. It neutralizes acids and cleans carbon build up in top of cylinder. It will clean entire head of the motor plus the crank will be spotless. You can get it at walmart for 4 dollars.

·
Proud Infidel
2,773 Posts
Use the Marvel Mystery Oil in your motor oil and in your gas. It neutralizes acids and cleans carbon build up in top of cylinder. It will clean entire head of the motor plus the crank will be spotless. You can get it at walmart for 4 dollars.
Odd. I've disassembled a couple motors and have seen quite a few more, and all had spotless cranks. And yet none used MMO.

Sent from here to there.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts