Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Retired citizen
24,526 Posts
Any 20W50 air cooled 4 stroke motor oil is sufficient for motor cycles, IMO.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yesterday I talked to the fellow that had my Soft tail and he used Harley oil. Would it hurt to change to Shell 20W50. Who makes Harley oil The Shell oil is for Motor Cycles.
Im curious as to where in the USA can you buy Shell 20/50 motorcycle oil?

I assume you are talking about the Shell Advance AX 20/50 oils

To answer your question, what the others said above, no, it wont hurt. Depending on your year bike, it wouldn't hurt to use the right API category in the manual either.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,055 Posts

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
HArley's are not super critical about oil. The main thing is an oil that can withstand the higher temperatures of an air cooled engine. The engine is almost all ball and needle bearings even the lifters are roller lifters.

·
Mississippi Cajun
25,208 Posts
Mobil1 Syn V-twin works great, but I have a buddy who does 20K or more a year (and a lot out west on the deserts) who uses exclusively Mobil 1 (not V-twin) and has never had a problem. Only differences is V-twin has a bit more zinc and costs a helluva lot more.

·
Registered
43,153 Posts
Mobil1 Syn V-twin works great, but I have a buddy who does 20K or more a year (and a lot out west on the deserts) who uses exclusively Mobil 1 (not V-twin) and has never had a problem. Only differences is V-twin has a bit more zinc and costs a helluva lot more.
I also use the non V-Twin M1 20w-50.
The two are nearly identical, the difference being the V-Twin stuff is safe for clutches.... I don't use either one in my primary, so that difference is meaningless to me.

·
On the loose
8,725 Posts
I've thought about using automotive Mobil 1 syn vs Vtwin in my motor. Mobil 1 is easy to find everywhere , reasonably priced and well proven , pretty much why it's my choice.

·
Señor Member
19,872 Posts
I also use the non V-Twin M1 20w-50.

The two are nearly identical, the difference being the V-Twin stuff is safe for clutches.... I don't use either one in my primary, so that difference is meaningless to me.

May I ask what you choose for your primary?

·
Registered
43,153 Posts
May I ask what you choose for your primary?
Dexron ATF.

Dexron III ATF.
Along with auto transmissions, Dexron III is also used in chain driven 4x4 transfer cases (NP207, NP208 etc)...

After all, what is in an automatic transmission? Clutches, bearings etc... ATF is also used in chain driven transfer cases (NP 207/NP 208) that have.... chains.

Sounds like a HD primary to me.

Some aftermarket clutch manufacturers like Barnett recommend Type F ATF, as Type F contains no friction modifiers.
But I don't know of any chain driven transfer cases that call for Type F ATF.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts