Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my back tire was finished. They don't seem to last that long. I figured I could save some money by just dropping the wheel and tire off at an Indy shop that I hadn't used yet and save some money since less labour right.
Well $393 later I've got a new tire on the rim, the bearings are done, new tube, new seals. Still expensive as far as I'm concerned.
It wasn't any big deal taking it off, so I figured it wouldn't be much to put it back on.
Wrong, what a total PITA. A person needs at least three hands, It took me two attemps. The backing plates on the brake pads fell out and won't go in until I take the caliper apart and I found out it is nearly impossible to lower the bike down onto the wheel with the common type bike jack I have, since as it comes down it move the bike to the left.
Ended up jacking the bike up fairly high then putting a automotive style floor jack under the wheel and jacking it into position. Much easier, but still quit a bit harder than I originally expected.
Probably avoid doing this myself in the future it may be easier to plan ahead when I'm going out of town and let a professional do it.
The closest indy or HD dealership is 2 1/2 hours away.
All in all a learning experience at the very least!

·
Registered
37 Posts
You are a braver soul than I. Medically, I doubt I could do it all anyway, but from the sounds of it...it's probably cheaper for me to let a "pro" do it. Glad ya got it taken care of tho. How many miles did you have on the old rear tire?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
16,000 kilometers.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not quite Steve, the bike is in an unheated shed. Although the wheel is on the belt isn't adjusted, the slipons aren't on and the brake needs some attention.
I'll at east deal with the belt in the next couple of days so I can ride it 800 ft to the heated work shop in Feb. for the next round of mods.
Of coarse if the weather doesn't change I may be riding all winter, but not likely.

·
FOG :-(
42 Posts
My indie (great work!) charges $50 to do the whole tire change.....take off the bike, replace tire, balance and reinstall. That's if you buy the tire from them or elsewhere.....no difference in labor. For me and my back, that's a bargain!

T113

·
Registered
212 Posts
I took my wheel off ,changed the tire to a mu85www and put it back on in about 1 and 1/2 hours ,come on now thats the easy stuff.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My indie (great work!) charges $50 to do the whole tire change.....take off the bike, replace tire, balance and reinstall. That's if you buy the tire from them or elsewhere.....no difference in labor. For me and my back, that's a bargain!

T113
The way I did it, I was able to send the tire to the indy a week ahead of time then pick it up on my way to Toronto.
Don't forget it's winter and the closest shop is 2 1/2 hours away.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took my wheel off ,changed the tire to a mu85www and put it back on in about 1 and 1/2 hours ,come on now thats the easy stuff.
Well I don't know about changing the tire, but removal and reinstalling the wheel will definately go faster next time if I decide to do it myself.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,742 Posts
I've done the R&R rear whell and would much rather spring for the bucks at the dealer than do it again. It's good to know I can if I have to, but I'd rather not have to.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Not quite Steve, the bike is in an unheated shed. Although the wheel is on the belt isn't adjusted, the slipons aren't on and the brake needs some attention.
Ahhh... just take it out anyway :)... who cares about an unadjusted belt, an unmuffled roar from the engine, and brakes needing attention. Just go for it and have an adventure :ride.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm thinking I subconciously left it like that to remove the temptation to go for a ride on a day that I may end up regretting riding on.
At our age, time flies and it will be spring soon enough.

·
Registered
69 Posts

What year is your Ultra SLOWHOUND?

I've been thinking about going to a MU85 on the rear of my '03 Ultra and was wondering if there are any clearance issues!?

:cool:

·
Registered
212 Posts
What year is your Ultra SLOWHOUND?

I've been thinking about going to a MU85 on the rear of my '03 Ultra and was wondering if there are any clearance issues!?

:cool:
Not an EG,it is and RK same as other thought and it will fit just be careful when adjusting belt if not careful it will rub.

·
Registered
279 Posts
That sure sounds like a big job. I don't think I'd attempt it. While I can perform alot of my own maintenance, I know my limits and try err on the side of caution if I am really clueless or read the manual alot before trying it.

·
Livn' On Bonus Years
155 Posts
So my back tire was finished. They don't seem to last that long. I figured I could save some money by just dropping the wheel and tire off at an Indy shop that I hadn't used yet and save some money since less labour right.
Well $393 later I've got a new tire on the rim, the bearings are done, new tube, new seals. Still expensive as far as I'm concerned.
It wasn't any big deal taking it off, so I figured it wouldn't be much to put it back on.
Wrong, what a total PITA. A person needs at least three hands, It took me two attemps. The backing plates on the brake pads fell out and won't go in until I take the caliper apart and I found out it is nearly impossible to lower the bike down onto the wheel with the common type bike jack I have, since as it comes down it move the bike to the left.
Ended up jacking the bike up fairly high then putting a automotive style floor jack under the wheel and jacking it into position. Much easier, but still quit a bit harder than I originally expected.
Probably avoid doing this myself in the future it may be easier to plan ahead when I'm going out of town and let a professional do it.
The closest indy or HD dealership is 2 1/2 hours away.
All in all a learning experience at the very least!
I sprung for a Handy lift this summer, a little on the expensive side at first but after saving several trips to the Indy at a labor rate of $50 an hour it pays for itself in several 5k mile services. I've did the last 6-7 5k services with a Larin, that gets old quick. The Larin is a good little lift but definately has limitations.

My local indy charges $50 labor for each wheel. I think about $30 if you carry the wheels to them. For $20 bucks more I'll let them do it. They have a Metzeler (IMO the best) special going on now if you buy the rear tire you get the front free if they install them. So total price for the front and rear installed would be about $280.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've done mine and a friend of mines rears and fronts. His bike had lace wheels first time we did his front did not check the underside after reinstalling the tube.... see where this is going.... tube was hanging out and when it blew scared the $hit out of us.:eek: (Duh.. note to self check tube is in on both sides:bat )
Instaed of removing the read muffler. after the bike is secured on your lift, remove bottom shock bolts, use a floor jack and lift up on the rear wheel, remove the axle and slowly lower the wheel. be carefull when coming down, and you are good to go.
I followed this web site I do not not have a floor press so I bought a bead breaker and that does do the job. Yea I could spend the cash and let someone else do it but hell I saved some coin for my self good luck!

Ken

1 - 19 of 19 Posts