Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone doing this.

Just got quoted between $650-700 to replace the tires on the '04 RKC, yikes!!!

I know I can do better with tires off-line, but no one in the area will put on tires they didn't sell....racket!!

Just wondering if anyone has gone this route....really seriously thinking about it.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
find an indy shop, they will put tires on for you. Otherwise try to work out a deal with a shop as far as the price of the tires. I know a lot of people that change their own tires, you need a few extra tools to do it safely. For me personally, when it comes to doing anything with the axles such as removing the wheel would involve, I would rather pay for a guy to do it. How much of a price difference are they charging you for tires?

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
You can get a simple tire machine from harbor freight for $100 a set of tire iron,$30, and your set to do it yourself. And use dyna beads for balancing. I had no problems with mine. Yeh the first set its about the same as you getting a shop o do it, but if you have the tools. Gives your buddies a reason to come over and help clean your garage. So you all can work on the bikes.....

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
I replaced my rear tire myself using MX tire irons. DO NOT try that at home. Unless you have knuckle skin to spare.

Saved a load o' dough though...

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I actually take my bike the the Yamaha dealership for tire changes vs. the HD dealership. They will mount, balance and install the tire free of charge if you buy the tire from them.

Check around, you might find different dealership or an indy shop that might offer the same thing.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
My rear tire as an example was...
172.00 for me to bring just the old tire and rim and for them to change it and balance the new one.
I can get that tire for 130-150 online and do it myself.
Guess what.....doing it myself! I did the front myself and screwed up a little.. I learned a lot though so with some equipment I know I can do my own!

·
Registered
105 Posts
my front cost 50.00 for balance and install when i brought wheel in and supplied the metzler marathon at yamaha shop he also replaced my bearings free (i supplied the koyos)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Changing my own tire did not work out so well for me. I bought the Portable Tire Changer from Harbor Freight Portable Tire Changer
and got the wheel off of my 2010 Ultra Classic with only a few skinned knuckles. BTW, the axle nut is a 1 3/8" and of course I had a 1 1/4" and a 1 1/2" socket. Had to run out and get the "goldilocks" one!

The real problem was after I broke the bead and was ready to put the wheel on the changer. The centering shaft on the top of the changer is 1 3/4" - too big for the wheel to slide over it. :mad

I had to call a local shop and have them swap the new tire for the old and I will have to return the Tire Changer to HF. Disappointed!

Hopefully I can put it all back together tonight and get back on the road!

Oh well, live and learn!

·
Riding With Respect
225 Posts
Yup, without the motorcycle adapter, it ain't gonna work. Got lucky and bought mine before they stopped selling them. First full year I had mine, I changed out 13 tires, 3 of my own and the rest for friends (We have a free dump day once a year that accepts used tires). At a savings of at least $25.00 a pop, my tires alone paid for it pretty quickly and the standing fee for the service to my friends is a 30 pack to keep the fridge in the shop stocked. Plus I know how to install a tube and prevent it from pinching like a couple of dealers didn't seem to know.

The real problem was after I broke the bead and was ready to put the wheel on the changer. The centering shaft on the top of the changer is 1 3/4" - too big for the wheel to slide over it. :mad

I had to call a local shop and have them swap the new tire for the old and I will have to return the Tire Changer to HF. Disappointed!

Hopefully I can put it all back together tonight and get back on the road!

Oh well, live and learn![/QUOTE]

·
Just Ride
3,208 Posts
I go to a friends car repair shop. He has a coats machine there that works great on m/c tires. Then I take it to local indy for balance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts