Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even with long johns on my knees still freeze on the cold mornings. Just wondering, do chaps help keep some of the cold off the legs?

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,449 Posts
Absolutely they do work. Chaps and lined jeans keep it good on most cold days on the South Coast.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Chaps are great.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Ditch the old school long johns as well, and get some Under Armour, or similar cold weather under garments.

Can't beat chaps for keeping the wind off your legs, and with the UA under neath, it can be quite enjoyable riding when it's cold out.

·
South GA Redneck
3,898 Posts
Ditch the old school long johns as well, and get some Under Armour, or similar cold weather under garments.

Can't beat chaps for keeping the wind off your legs, and with the UA under neath, it can be quite enjoyable riding when it's cold out.
+1. These new style long johns are better than the traditional kind. I have a set from wally world and they are nice!! I use em for riding, playing ball and hunting.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
+1 on advice above. Chaps work very well in cold weather. I wear chaps even when it's not cold if I'm doing highway riding for general leg protection.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
How cold is the winter in Arizona

I rode my old beater bike few winters ago in teen temps just to go to work bout 8 miles

They didn't look good but my carharts worked best

Use chaps most of the time

·
TGPNW
640 Posts
Even with long johns on my knees still freeze on the cold mornings. Just wondering, do chaps help keep some of the cold off the legs?
Yes they do but within a limited cold temp range. Each part of the country has different temp variations (dry climate vs damp climate)
and require different equipment to remain comfortable. I use several different levels of long johns (carhart long johns are great) along with heated pants when needed.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
How cold is the winter in Arizona

I rode my old beater bike few winters ago in teen temps just to go to work bout 8 miles

They didn't look good but my carharts worked best

Use chaps most of the time

Carhart and Walls suits are good stuff for being outside in the cold.

·
Mountain Rider
1,343 Posts

:thumbsup +1

·
Smiles. A lot!
8,683 Posts

Solid advise! And yes chaps are great!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just picked up my first pair today and I'm getting ready to trim them up. But before should the belt be above or below my jeans belt? Does it matter?

·
Alberta Strong
4,478 Posts
Just picked up my first pair today and I'm getting ready to trim them up. But before should the belt be above or below my jeans belt? Does it matter?
Below you belt. Especially if your older and you pants are pulled up. Lol
image.jpg

·
Registered
11,955 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I use chaps and flannel lined jeans between 30 and 20 degrees mostly, below that I switch to a pair of riding pants over the lined jeans. I got the riding pants at Cycle Gear for about $19. The work really well to keep the cold and wind out.

·
2,414 Posts
When it starts getting cold here in the Northwest, I break out the gator skins. They work well against the wind.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts