Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Anyone that works for a living doesn't have a pocket full of cash to burn on high-priced stuff for nothing. Am I right? I own my bike outright. I'm not bragging, but it's a choice, over having payments. I hate debt....

I also enjoy working on my bike and tinkering and with doing this and that, so it wouldn't be practical for me to buy a NEW bike, then spend god knows how much $$$ to mod it, or make it my own, then Ebay all the leftovers...... I can't keep my hands off anything, so having a payment book AND spending cash on mods just makes no sense to me.....or for me....or.....well, you get it.:D

With that being said, I like changing this, and that...and I like saving cash doing it too!!

I did the "Chrome to Black" thread where you can turn your Chrome parts to a painted color, on the cheap. Now.....I'll show you how to change your old style air cleaner cover to a modern look and save $$$ doing it...:thumb

I bought a 1999-2001 oval aircleaner off a member from another forum for $15, shipped. I only wanted the cover, not the backing or the filter. I have a Ness Big Air Sucker filter set up, but I don't like my leg hitting the air cleaner. Stock air cleaners sit the closest in that department.

I got the air cleaner today and pealed off the stock air filter instructions on the top, and the stock aluminum ID ring on the outside. Using a razor blade to remove the decal and the ring adheisive, and carb cleaner will remove the glue residue. Be careful and use a new razor blade, as a used one may have damage to the edge and leave scratches or marks in the chrome.

Next, I applied a NEW ring from the dealer for $7.95. I don't trust the foam adheisive on these and always use a dab of silicone at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock.

Once on, it offsets the black engine and looks blingy, yet on the cheap. Please note the reflection of the POS Dodge truck in the air cleaner......

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Really like how you etched that red brick wall onto the right of the cover. :lol8
It's the Colonial look.............. I invented it.............:D

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Excuse my ignorance if its an obvious answer as I am new to the "harley-world" but what is the goldish canister with the "SS" labels?

& with this cold weather I am totally into the "cheap"/do-it-yerself" mods.
If I can't ride it I am thinkering or devising ways to tinker with it.

I just took the plain-jane shifter linkage rod off and with a large hexagonal turnbuckle that I installed it over the stock rod, drilled into, then molded smooth to the rod with epoxy putty, then painted . It turned out awesome and beat the hell out of the $100+ ones sold. cost me nuthin cuz I already had the turnbuckle. The turnbuckle is aluminum so it was super easy to werk with and clear coat will keep the aluminum from oxidizing.

Attachments

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
I'm still working on speed holes?:confused:

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
hmmmmm:blahblah: Thinking a matchin red jewelled AC retaining bolt would set it off nicely, creating a harmony zen thing with your heads and fins:cool:

Wont do much for the POS Dodge though.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Excuse my ignorance if its an obvious answer as I am new to the "harley-world" but what is the goldish canister with the "SS" labels?

I just took the plain-jane shifter linkage rod off and with a large hexagonal turnbuckle that I installed it over the stock rod, drilled into, then molded smooth to the rod with epoxy putty, then painted . It turned out awesome and beat the hell out of the $100+ ones sold.
That's the kind of mods I'm talking about Lucky. Cheap, simple yet a small detail to the bike!!

The canister is brass. The tube running to it is the overflow tube from the carb bowl. Rather then having fuel dump on the ground, in front of the rear tire, it woill go to a vented container. The clear line lets me know if anything is coming out of the carb.....

·
What?
3,256 Posts
Looks great, but I think I was diggin' the black one better!

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts

·
What?
3,256 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts