Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Flat Land *******
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When ignition is switched on the engine light comes on until fuel system is primed as normal. Engine cranks fine, light goes out, then comes back on for about five seconds. Engine runs fine. Checked diag. codes, it shows PO562- pn34309-06. Best as I can tell that's a low voltage code, can't find corresponding part. I checked batt. voltage, switched off it reads 13.9, running it's 14.02. Anybody have any suggestions or ideas? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
71 Posts
This may help..I hope.

"Last week my check engine and battery lights came on. I checked for codes and found PO-562, low voltage. I was thinking of the infamous stator problems. After making sure the battery was fully charged, I started running tests. The battery (stock original ) was reading 12.6 volts, good. Next was the cables, ground connections and fuses. All were good. Next, disconnect the stator from the regulator. I checked the continuity on the stator- no short circuit. I started the engine to check the AC output. At idle 21 volts, 2000rpm 48 volts. All good the stator was in good condition. Maybe the voltage regulator? With the regulator still connected to the battery, I checked for voltage at the stator connector. Connect one lead of the volt meter(vom) to ground and the other to the stator plug. I checked both sides of the socket- no volts, good so far. I disconnected and removed the regulator from the frame. Using the diode test on my meter, I measured from battery side to stator side. The diodes were good, regulator seamed to be functional. I examined the regulator and noticed, that the battery side is grounded to the regulator body. Looking at the mounting points, there was corrosion caused by electrolysis. I cleaned all of the contact points on the regulator and frame. I coated the contact points with dielectric grease and reinstalled the regulator. I fired the engine up. Everything was working perfectly! Corrosion is electricity's worst enemy! "

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,055 Posts
I'm not certain about this.

I think when my bike's Check Engine light was acting this way, it was telling me it had stored codes (and I think I remember reading that somewhere, too). Since you don't think you have an active problem, go through the procedure to clear the codes and see it they come back.

--

·
Flat Land *******
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not certain about this.

I think when my bike's Check Engine light was acting this way, it was telling me it had stored codes (and I think I remember reading that somewhere, too). Since you don't think you have an active problem, go through the procedure to clear the codes and see it they come back.

--
I'm thinking along this line. I checked and cleaned terminals and they were good. It's charging, batt. was at full charge and the light doesn't stay on. I had a problem with the reg. plug, but I'm pretty sure I have that squared away.
Tomorrow I'm gonna try to clear the codes and go from there. Thanks to you and Webco for the help.

·
Banned
71 Posts
I'm thinking along this line. I checked and cleaned terminals and they were good. It's charging, batt. was at full charge and the light doesn't stay on. I had a problem with the reg. plug, but I'm pretty sure I have that squared away.
Tomorrow I'm gonna try to clear the codes and go from there. Thanks to you and Webco for the help.
There is a sticky in electrical that tells you how to do that...if you need to refresh your memory . :)

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,055 Posts
:thumb

--

1 - 8 of 8 Posts