Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bit of a problem and hope somebody on here can give me the right answer to fix my problem.
I have a 08 1200XL sportster, just fired it up this year after the winter storage. I cleaned it all up and took if for a ride and now the check engine light comes on then go off then comes on etc. It rides fine no lost of power and rides smooth. But why the light keeps on coming on and off?

Thanks in Advance
Wolvie

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Go to the "General Repair" section and look at the Sportster DTC sticky. Check the codes and match it against the list there.

·
Registered
818 Posts
gotta run diagnostics, hold down the button on the back of your speedo, and turn the key, on the odometer you'll see diag for diagnostic then push the button again and it'll go to PSSPt, each letter stands for a different set of diagnostic codes...

P = ECM/ICM (Electronic Control Module [EFI] / Ignition Control Module [Carbureted])
S = TSM/TSSM (Turn Signal/ Turn Signal Security Module)
SP = speedometer
T = tachometer

to move between them just hit the button again, to check for codes in that area hold the button down until it says the code or no codes, repeat, write down the codes and check them against the list that dave said

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok here is what I got off after the Diagnostic test. Ran test 5 times and came up with the same thing every time....
P= no rSP
S= nonE PN-68924-07 This looks like part numbers?
SP= nonE PN-67436-08 This looks like part numbers?
L= no rSP
b= no rSP

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Question,
How hard is it to break or damage the spark plug wires? I took them off to clean the bike today and didn't think I took them off that hard or twisted them? But could that have a factor as to the light going on and off. Plus just got back from riding it again and yes now it is missing and running rough after third gear...

·
Registered
818 Posts
was the engine light coming on before you unplugged the wires? first I'd just make sure the wires are connected correctly, you should feel a distinct "click" when you put them in.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Light was not on when I stored it for the winter. Took it off the battery tender and pulled it around the front of the house and pulled the wires off to clean the motor and pushed the wires back on and fired it up. Then drove it and it ran fine except for light come on and going off. Then came back home did the test and drove it again now runs light crap..

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
I would say that it is definitely your spark plug wire connection. Pull them back off then firmly press them on until you feel the click. Dont be afraid to give them a good push to seat them.

You have no historic codes which is good.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks will try that, I will pull them off and push them back on firmly, if that don't work I will buy new wires and try that first.
Thanks
Wolvie

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Will do, thanks again everybody for all your help. I will try this tomorrow and if not will buy new wires and try that, If that don't work I will be writing again on here..
Once again thank you all for your help..

Wolvie

·
Registered
818 Posts
make sure you feel a distinct click when plugging the wires in, sometimes it feels like they are in but they arent fully in

·
Retired citizen
22,854 Posts
Tighten your battery connections . The diagnostic response on 3 of the tests reported " no rSP " , that equates to no response . Loose battery connections usually relate to " no rSP " .

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Schmidtys,
But here is what happened today, gave all the plugs a good push today. Fired the bike up the light came on then went off after I pulled out of my drive way. Rode a 1/2 hr on her with no problems, she ran GREAT. No light at all came on. Brought her back to my house and turn her off and then took her out again but the light came back on and off again.. So I think I must have bad a wire on the one I took off. So I ordered two new ones and they come in a weeK from now. So hopefully that is the problem..
Thank you all for your help
Wolvie

·
Retired citizen
22,854 Posts
NO ... nothing is wrong . The light comes back on then goes off after about 8 seconds because there is a stored code is all . Clear the codes by holding the speedo trip button in for about 10 seconds while turning the ignition on . The speedo diagnostics will respond " all codes cleared " . Don't spend a bunch of ching on it by throwing parts at it indiscrimananananantly . ( how's that spelled ? )

1 - 20 of 31 Posts