Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check engine light is coming on for a few seconds, then going off for a while, then popping on, then off for a long while, on ,off, off, off, on ,off. There is no pattern, no issue with the way the bike runs. It was just serviced, new plugs, welded up the cross over pipe as it was cracked, checked the speed sensor in the transmission and it was clean, no codes stored. Am I looking for trouble if I keep running it, should I go back to the dealer? Any input or advise would be greatly appreciated. 2003 FLHTCUI, first 20k were put on by my dad, no issues, this is my second season with the bike and this started at about 23,800, and has been happening for the past 700 miles.

Thanks
John

·
Retired citizen
24,219 Posts
It has stored codes. The procedure for checking codes is a sticky in the electrical section.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Check engine light is coming on for a few seconds, then going off for a while, then popping on, then off for a long while, on ,off, off, off, on ,off. There is no pattern, no issue with the way the bike runs. It was just serviced, new plugs, welded up the cross over pipe as it was cracked, checked the speed sensor in the transmission and it was clean, no codes stored. Am I looking for trouble if I keep running it, should I go back to the dealer? Any input or advise would be greatly appreciated. 2003 FLHTCUI, first 20k were put on by my dad, no issues, this is my second season with the bike and this started at about 23,800, and has been happening for the past 700 miles.

Thanks
John
Welded while ON THE BIKE, or off?

Was battery disconnected?

If so.....check for a loose terminal on battery.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welded while ON THE BIKE, or off?

Was battery disconnected?

If so.....check for a loose terminal on battery.

On bike, battery disconnected, all terminals snugged up when battery was reconnected.

Check engine light issue was happening prior to pipe repair, light didn't start flickering again until about 80 miles after repair.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
d01 - Clr
do2 - Clr
do3- not used
do4 - not used
do5 - Clr
do6 - Clr
do7 - not used
do8- Clr
do9 - Clr

What am I missing? Do I need to do the jumper wire thing?

·
Retired citizen
24,219 Posts
Those are only the speedo diagnostics, you need to run the ECM diagnostics. DTCs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No dealer yet, 100 miles ride yesterday afternoon, light never came on,except at start up .. Now what?

·
Retired citizen
24,219 Posts
No dealer yet, 100 miles ride yesterday afternoon, light never came on,except at start up .. Now what?
A stored code will cancel after 50 starts/stops if no new code sets.

·
Certified HD Mech.
30 Posts
Agreed... have the codes pulled up at Harley or another reputable mechanic... it would be unusual to have no codes with such a problem as the check engine light usually only comes on for the more serious codes... if the battery is connected firmly I would start with "is it only while in motion or standing also"... also do the "wiggle test" as shown in the service manuals. I agree with Dave that the problem is probably related to your voltage. I hate to say it but the best is to check all the connectors and connections (including the starter) to verify there are no loose connections. If this only happens while in motion it is almost certainly a loose connection or connector.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a 2008 EG kinda having kinda the same problem. when i turn it on i can hear the fuel pump everything seems to work like normal after a few seconds the check engine light goes off then comes back on is on for a few seconds the goes off and stays off. not sure about codes seems to run fine

·
Old Scooter Tramp
1,367 Posts
I have a 2008 EG kinda having kinda the same problem. when i turn it on i can hear the fuel pump everything seems to work like normal after a few seconds the check engine light goes off then comes back on is on for a few seconds the goes off and stays off. not sure about codes seems to run fine
My 09 heritage did the exact same thing, pulled the code and it showed to be the system relay. Replaced it, the light still comes on, but it hasn't cycled 50 restarts yet either. Time will tell....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts