Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did a tour with my 2001 Deuce. Several times the “check engine” warning light lit up when I was doing higher speeds (70mph). Slowing down and idling for a while made it turn off again. Temperatures (oil) seemed not alarming (180F). Is it temperature related? Any ideas? What sensors are connected to this warning light on this vintage?

· Registered
6,122 Posts
I had the same circumstance with my Electra Glide on the interstate. It turned out to be a spark plug wire connector was loose on the tip of the plug and sending intermittent code to the ECM. A gentle squeeze with pliers made it tighter and never saw the issue again. Check your stored codes and look up the number on google.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, thank you all. I could scroll through a list from d01Clr to d10Clr. Clr might mean “clear”. What is the “d” signifying, what the numbers? The list is followed by “PPU” and then a number (82616). Who can enlighten me as to the meaning of this and if there is more that I haven’t discovered yet? A link to an explanation would be useful.
I checked both my owner’s manual Haynes service and repair manual and did not see anything related to codes.

· Wayward Son
24,549 Posts
My .02 about your problem?
Burn the Haynes.
There's a DTC sticky in the electrical section that should have what you need

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I found a youtube clip that as my setup,
The PPU and number refer to “pulse per unit” and have to do with the tachometer. Tyre size most likely.
Thanks for your input. If you have more detailed information I’d be interested to know what d01, d02 etc stand for. (“d” might be diagnostics but the numbers remain a mystery. In

· Registered
3,723 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It's in the link that T~S posted above........

My .02 about your problem?
Burn the Haynes.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wonder if he found them?
Maybe still looking(?).
I think this might not apply to my bike. The link leads to a youtube clip about a 2018 Softail. Mine is 2001 and does not feature those diagnostic tools. My diagnostic setup seems to only cover the tachometer which is rather useless. Another youtube clip suggested to activate diagnostics with switching ignition on/off/on/off/on to get the “check engine light” to flash codes but I had no success with that either.
Thanks for your input. Not very computer savvy so I am not navigating this site without difficulties.
Cheers

· Registered
3,723 Posts
I think this might not apply to my bike. The link leads to a youtube clip about a 2018 Softail. Mine is 2001 and does not feature those diagnostic tools. My diagnostic setup seems to only cover the tachometer which is rather useless. Another youtube clip suggested to activate diagnostics with switching ignition on/off/on/off/on to get the “check engine light” to flash codes but I had no success with that either.
Thanks for your input. Not very computer savvy so I am not navigating this site without difficulties.
Cheers
For some reason, that link starts at the end of the thread, post #14. Scroll back through the other 13 posts and I'm sure you will find the info for you bike. I'll try to repost it to start at the beginning of the thread.........

1 - 20 of 25 Posts