Harley Davidson Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
a new old fart
238 Posts
I never mount my bike without a quick once over and that includes kicking the tires. you can tell by the thump if you have enough air. I check the air once a week or before any big ride. I have wire wheels so while cleaning I get a chance for an inspection.
a safe bike is a safe ride.
L.A.Jones

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
12,803 Posts
Maybe All Clear, I'll Use These Tires

I decided it was all OK. I guess. The side that looks right can be stomped off the rim easily too, nothing like breaking the bead on a tire that's been on there for awhile. The tire seems to balance OK too, if it was cock-eyed on the rim doesn't look lke it would balance easily. Just some minor differences front to rear I guess.

NEVERMIND.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
12,803 Posts
Larry-

Did you ever deliberately let the pressure down to 20 or so and try to tell by kicking the tire?

I can't say for sure, but the tire casings these days seem so damn tough, I don't see how you could tell for sure.

A tire leaning on the bench that hasn't even been installed on a rim seems just about as hard as one with full pressure.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Dunlop tires for full sized bikes (touring) generally have very heavy sidewalls to support passengers and bike weight. Just from shopping for tires for my bike, I saw about 4 different types of tires, all with the same size, but rated at different weight/load ratings.

Some are a serious PITA to get off a rim by hand.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Greetings,
Happens to Metz's also:
Pirelli Tire, LLC is recalling certain Metzeler ME880 Marathon motorcycle tires, sizes 130/90B16 M/CTL 73H Reinforced and 140/90B16 M/CTL 77H Reinforced, manufactured between June 22 and September 13, 2008. These tires have a serial number that starts with a plant code of EB. These tires were stamped with incorrect load range which fails to conform to the labeling requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 119, "New Pneumatic Tires for Motor Vehicles with a GVWR of more than 4,536 Kilograms (10,000 Pounds) and Motorcycles." The purpose of this standard is to provide safe operational performance levels. Metzeler will notify owners and replace the noncompliant tires free of charge. The safety recall is expected to begin during March 2009. Owners may contact Metzeler Consumer Affairs at 1-877-202-4993.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Everything I have been able to find on this refers back to the original website. Sounds like ambulance chasers to me.

·
Registered
276 Posts
The original post got me off my lazy butt and into the garage. Surenuff, I've got Dunlop D402F tires on the 11 Deluxe. Dammit, something else to worry about. However, I guess I've got tubes with the spoked wheels. Not sure if that's good or bad.

·
Turgid Member
1,248 Posts
Wonder if this is why my 2012 FXDC came with Michelin Scorchers on it?

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
12,803 Posts
Guys this thread is a few days short of 3 years dormant,

..and never got any more discussion after Aug 2009,

so I think it's safe to say the scare is over.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
12,803 Posts
My habit is to keep track of "new posts" and that's a chore.

If you do stumble across something interesting that's old, and you think there's a new point,

you can start it back up, but you're kind of starting a new thread under the same title.

·
Turgid Member
1,248 Posts
Everything I have been able to find on this refers back to the original website. Sounds like ambulance chasers to me.
Hell I usually look before I post. The new guy revived it...lol

21 - 33 of 33 Posts