Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
via Memphis, Texarkana, Houston, Corpus... what are the "don't-miss-must-experience" highlights that you would recommend?

·
Mod Extraordinaire
1,980 Posts
If you can re-route thru Southern MO / Northern AR, you could hit the Ozarks.

You might consider a route more west of Houston so you can ride through the Hill Country. It's simply beautiful.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Take it from a New Yorka. Hit up Goodies BBQ in Houston, on Kirby. Tasty stuff.

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
via Memphis, Texarkana, Houston, Corpus... what are the "don't-miss-must-experience" highlights that you would recommend?
If you go your route, you'll miss me by a couple of hundred miles. That far east in Texas will take you through the Piney Woods.

If you take TexRod's route you'll pass within ten blocks of my house.

We could take a little detour through some of the Hill Country and I would ride a little ways with you/y'all.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aw, heck... it's only a 'nuther hundred miles or so... and it will get my feets in Oklahoma... I'm in! Can always do the eastern route on the way back.

I'll know the dates by the end of the week. It will be extremely cool to meet some of my forum 'cohorts'!

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's on! I'll be leavin' Chicago the Friday afternoon of Labor Day weekend, right after work. Should be able to make it out of Illinois before stopping for the night.

Wooohooo!!!!

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
I would have to say Route 59 from Texarkana to Houston is one great ride.
You beat me to it. 59 is a nice ride.
I did the shakedown runs on 2 of my bikes between Houston and Longview via Hwy 59.
Don't know what your preferences are for riding.
I like to take my time and try to stay off of the interstate.
Don't always happen that way though.:D

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Less than 2 weeks to go! iPod should be here on Wednesday... I'll have tunes for the trip... fluids have all been changed and new tire mounted... would be cool to meet up with Forum folks on the way!

·
Registered
9 Posts
If McAllen is still your destination, you really should consider another 75 or 80 miles down to South Padre Island. BEST beach in Texas IMHO :dance . I grew up just north of Corpus and have seen them all between Galveston and SP Island.

Why McAllen as the stopping point if I might ask?

Edge

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My godparents are in their 80's and are the last living folks on Dad's side that we have any kind of relationship with... haven't seen 'em since Dad died a few years ago, and have never visited them in TX.

So... it's a long-overdue road trip.

If I go to S. Padre, I'll almost be obligated to stop in our Corpus Christi office (hmm, maybe I can write off lunch!) :)

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Woohooo!!!! heading out tomorrow from work - Hope to make it as far as Memphis before I shut down for the night.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts