Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I would really appreciate your thoughts and advice around safety equipment for my 9 year old who often rides on the back of my heritage. He is comfortable, secure and well trained. However I am really struggling to find good gear for him, especially pants. Any ideas or opinions?
Thanks

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
What type gear are you looking for?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Motocross gear.

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
Just keep adding armor until he looks like an short NFL linebacker.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ideally textile, some armor road gear. Pants and jacket.
I found a possible jacket, expensive but looks good quality. All the pants are motocross and i worry about protection from elements and a slide.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Just use common sense. I would get at least: Helmet, boots, jeans. You might add gloves and a leather jacket. If you spend a lot of time on the highway you might add chaps. If you go off roading, motocross gear.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I used dirt bike stuff for my kids that age because there really isn't gear in their size. Get a good street bike full face helmet and the rest on the off road side. There is good protection for them and lots of color choices.

·
Registered
147 Posts
main problem is they fall to sleep - friend had his 9 yr old went to sleep on freeway he looked back noticed his helmet was just about to scrape on pavement - he grabbed was just able to keep him off ground and get the bike to a stop. he tells the story to everyone.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Cycle gear has a kids line. HJC and gmax make good kids helmets. For my 9 yr old ended up scoring a xs men's Olympia 3 season for like $40. Boots I went MX he liked the madmax look. :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great. Thanks guys. I think I'll go for a Road jacket I found and try some motor cross pants. I'm not travelling very far, so I think that will fine.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Mad respect to you for being concerned about this.:thumbsup
Lot's of folks just stick a cheap lid on on the kids noggin and away they go.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Motocross gear has decent slide protection. I've taken my share of slides along gravel and have no road rash scars to show for it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cheers guys. I hadn't thought of the motor cross stuff. I didn't think it would be up to the road use, will go that direction for his pants.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mad respect to you for being concerned about this.:thumbsup

Lot's of folks just stick a cheap lid on on the kids noggin and away they go.

Cheers mate. A little frustrated there isn't decent kids gear on the market. There obviously just isn't the market for it. I'm not sure what costs the most, my bike or kid. But I know which I would rather have to replace.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
You may be able to find some leather in petite ladies sizes that could work. Some of the ladies XS stuff looks tiny.

--

·
Banned
71 Posts
main problem is they fall to sleep - friend had his 9 yr old went to sleep on freeway he looked back noticed his helmet was just about to scrape on pavement - he grabbed was just able to keep him off ground and get the bike to a stop. he tells the story to everyone.
Thats why they make Bungee cords. :thumbsup

:coffee:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts