Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my '03 Ultra Classic for awhile, and started to hear what sounds like an intermittent chirp, mostly at decel, but also a bit at cruising speed. Never at idle and not when accelerating. I don't hear it all the time, but when I do, it is related to the speed I'm going -- faster chirping at higher speeds and slower chirping when I'm going slower. I received some great advise from another forum relating first to the belt, so I took off the saddle bags and washed everything down. Didn't hear it for awhile afterwards, but it is still there.

Could it be more with the belt?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Is the belt centered in the rear pulley? If not, it could be the belt alignment is off just a bit and causing the noise.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,113 Posts
exhaust leak

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure if it is centered or not. I went to a friend of mine (a Harley man) who works at a trike conversion garage, but they also service bikes. They tightened the exhaust on one side, but it did nothing. My wife and I went riding for about half hour and I heard the chirping at cruise speed and on decel (alot, but not all the time). On the way home, barely heard it at all. But because the chirp seems related to the speed (When I slow down, it slows down like it's hitting on a revolution), I keep thinking it's the belt.

·
Señor Member
19,666 Posts
Would an exhaust leak create a chirp that goes along with the speed of the bike?
It would go along with the speed of the motor.

·
Go SEAHAWKS!!
807 Posts
Spark plugs are fully seated and tight? Torqued to spec with anti-seize on em?

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I know this is a HD forum, and I know this is like comparing apples and oranges, but on my previous bike (Yamaha Roadstar), I experienced the chirp. It was definitely the belt, and it was more pronounced when riding two-up. It occured on deceleration.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll be taking my bike to a dealership (gotta try something), so I'll get them to check. Any chance it's a wheel bearing?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's interesting. I heard it at cruise speed when riding two-up and more so on decel, but not all the time. The sound may be from the front to the mid frame, but it's hard to tell when moving along, with sounds that could be bouncing off the fairing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts