Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only been riding for a year, a Road King for 8 of those months.

The bike I had previously was a Suzuki Boulevard C50T. As for comfort that bike was very easy to ride.

After trading in the C50T and buying the RKC, one of the things that we realized is, I never test drove the bike...so my ride home was the first time I'd ridden that particular bike (I've ridden others and they felt fine, but this felt different)

Now to my question - handlebars...When I took off on that RK, it was so hard to get used to these handlebars - I felt like I was pinching my shoulders together - I couldn't get comfortable. I've since found a "comfortable" position - at least I thought - until my left elbow started to hurt.

I've been told, its your handlebars, your reaching. So I asked well which ones should I get? I haven't gotten a great answer as of yet.

So how do you choose handlebars? Seems to me that you need to have it mounted on your bike so you can decide - but that seems a little unrealistic...so I'm asking for your advice.

Thanks,
David

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Some dealers have what looks like a excercise machine that you sit on, and it represents a motorcycle. They can get an idea of your reach with it.

My neighbor has a 2004 RKC. First thing he did was get rid of the stock bars and put on a set of FL type beach bars. World of difference.

Honestly....the best way for you to find what's right for you, is to see a bike with different bars, and ask the rider to sit on it. Most guys are more then willing to help a brother out, and help them with parts selection. This way, if it feels right, hopefully they can tell you EXACTLY what they replaced them with and you don't have to guess.....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some dealers have what looks like a excercise machine that you sit on, and it represents a motorcycle. They can get an idea of your reach with it.

My neighbor has a 2004 RKC. First thing he did was get rid of the stock bars and put on a set of FL type beach bars. World of difference.

Honestly....the best way for you to find what's right for you, is to see a bike with different bars, and ask the rider to sit on it. Most guys are more then willing to help a brother out, and help them with parts selection. This way, if it feels right, hopefully they can tell you EXACTLY what they replaced them with and you don't have to guess.....

I think that is the best advice I've gotten to date. I've never thought about asking other riders, besides my couple of buddies that ride. I think you could classify my C50T's handlebars as "beach bars" because they had a slight rise, but stretched out a bit.

Thanks Dave for your suggestion. I'm off to the Motorcycle Show and Swap downtown Denver - I bet I'll see a few bikes there :)

David

·
IBA Member 40248
120 Posts
To echo Dave, most squared away dealers will have someone you can talk to regarding handlebars and getting the right "fit." My buddy did it with his Dyna. Turns out his handlebars sat too far forward and the service/parts guy got him the right bars for his body frame by figuring out the most comfortable position to place the controls. Between new handlebars and/or a seat that moves you where you need to go, you should be up and running in comfort in short order....

·
Ms. Subtle
1,930 Posts
Most guys are more then willing to help a brother out..........
ahem......

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
"Ahem" what?

Sitting on your V-Rod isn't going to help him, Olive. :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
The bars on a police bike are stock heritage bars also.
My self good ol Knuckles,or 12 inch monkey bars are nice.:thumb

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 08 road king and i put 12" carlini flyn apes, I love them, but i wish i would have went with 14". cant go wrong with any apes...
'
'
'

·
Registered
1 Posts
I Have An 07 Road King That I really Enjoy Riding.I Changed Out My Seat To A Tall Boy Which Put Me Up And Back A Bit.Now My Fingers And And Hands Go Very Numb,Any Suggestions On What To Do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts