Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since about....1980 or so, I always went out for a ride on Christmas day. May not have been a long one, but I got out. This year was no different. We've had snow, sleet and rain over the last few weeks but for some unknown reason it was sunny and 38* this morning. I saw no reason a little snow or road cinders should stop me.... I rode to a local convenience store for some coffee, then rode about 15 miles. Boy.....people sure look at you funny when you're out riding in December, in PA....

To date:

I've missed 1981:Snow

2001:Snow/Blizzard

2006: Injury (Right rotator cuff tear)

I look forawrd to the day my daughter can join me. I also envy you guys/gals in warm climates. :D

Enjoy your holiday, everyone.

Dave

After the ride.

Dirty, salty, yicky.....

Washed and ready to ride again.

·
What?
3,256 Posts
Merry Christmas Dave. Glad your back buddy.

I know on colder days I tend to get more waves from people. Their probably thinkin' "What a diehard biker riding in the cold." Or their thinking "what a big idiot for riding in the cold."

Either way, I'm still riding.

Who missed Dave, raise your hands.......

·
1,074 Posts
I'm tossing around the idea of riding to work this afternoon. It's supposed to be around 32 deg. when I head for home at 11:45 but I'm more concerned about the others on the road that may have been enjoying the holiday a bit too much. Although I'd think they might be in for the night by then??
Good tradition Dave, our H.O.G. chapter has a Chilly Chili ride on Jan 1st that I'd like to take part in this year.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Nice! I rode last Christmas for the first time and after reading your post I might consider it this year as well. As my sig says Ride on!

·
Super Moderator
12,744 Posts
I gotta a lot of odd looks last week. 34 degrees, raining, 21 degrees, 18 degrees... bike looked awful. Got it just about cleaned up - enough for the toy run last Sunday.

Plan to work on the GG this afternoon.

Merry Christmas Dave and everyone else!

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
It's always good to have tradition,Merry Christmas Dave.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Had a 68 mile scoot today in the mountains. Sunny and temps in the 30's. Almost brought the camera. Did see four other bikes out, including a Crossbones and a Heritage. Sat on a bench in the sun at a lonely closed store to warm up and fell asleep for 5-10 minutes!

·
Banned
655 Posts
Glad you kept your tradition. Also glad to see you are back. Merry Christmas - I think here in St. Louis and other places on New Years day don't a bunch of people get naked and jump in the river/Lake in their town.

That would be a site to see - a naked man on a snowy winter day riding his Harley..

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That would be a site to see - a naked man on a snowy winter day riding his Harley.
Not sure how much *site* you're gonna see..... Shrinkage will take it's toll on even the late Johnny Holmes, in that scenerio.... :D

·
Banned
11,040 Posts
No way am I gonna let Dave hold a tradition all alone so here I am with my crew on Xmas Run today Merry Christmas to all!!
Every year weather I need it or not...

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
I think I might have a tradition started here. I got to ride today (Best present I got) Did about 45 miles with a starting temp of 44 which is not too bad. I got to try out two presents that I received. One was the air activated heat packs that you slip in your gloves and the other is a thin balaclava Both worked very well. The heat thrown off of the heat packs in the gloves didn't quite reach my fingertips but they sure helped out. As for the balaclava, because it is a modern thin style it was not in the way and kept my head and neck much warmer, even with a full face helmet.

These are the gloves I use for Winter riding

The Heatpacks

Rode with my pops. He is sporting a Kawasaki Vucan 1600 he just picked up a couple of weeks ago. I really like it

Stopped in at a local park to enjoy a view or two before munching out on a giant dinner.

On the return trip with the stars out bright it was below freezing and I was comfortable. Keeping my eyes peeled for ice and Santa Clauses tailpipe in the sky.

·
Banned
11,040 Posts
Yep that is it thats the general store closed for the winter.
Best time of year I think. no one around around right down the road is a bluff you look out over it and at almost any day you can see whales breachin the water Badass!!

·
IBA Member 40248
120 Posts
Awesome tradition! I rode my bike yesterday on Christmas day as well. For some reason, despite having some of the crappiest weather on record, Christmas day was sunny and 50 degrees. Seems the riding Gods were smiling upon me for Christmas. I had to take advantage of it. Made for an even more special holiday!! Ride on my friends... Ride on...

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
sweetpics!!!looks like you guys had a blast!!
I didnt see your pics until I posted mine. Nice! You have alot more hardcore friends than I do. When I asked my friends they just chuckle and call me nuts.

Ib2910, Sounds like you just started your own tradition. Cool.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Yep that is it thats the general store closed for the winter.
Best time of year I think. no one around around right down the road is a bluff you look out over it and at almost any day you can see whales breachin the water Badass!!
That's outstanding. Spent two days on Martha's Vineyard once, getting there from the car ferry out of Woods Hole? Fantastic time and could see Natucket I believe, from a vantage point. Took a walking tour and learned all about the whaling history. Fascinating, and as noted earlier, incredibly beautiful.

·
Ms. Subtle
1,930 Posts
this is something i am going to try to start next year.. i had to work yesterday and by the time i got home it was dark.. i dont ride in the dark much .. too many animals!

·
Banned
11,040 Posts
Yep 2 1/2 hr ferry ride to Nantucket it not bad its cool driving the bikes on to the ferrys with striaght pipes you get all the disgusted looks....lol

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 38 Posts