Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help me with this noise, I bought a 2010 Electra glide that had 10500 miles on it. Never notice this when I test drove it, but a around 12000 miles the engine makes a a clack, clack, clack type of noise ONLY at 2100-2300, rpms, under or over the rpms,I hear the normal ticking noise of the valves, after 2400 rpms the clack goes away.
This clacking noise is in every gear except neutral.
If I rev the bike to 2100-2300 in neutral it will not make the noise. Only when I ride,
Now the kicker, it will make the noise most of the time, but sometimes it wont, went to take it back to the dealer a bought it from (2 hrs) away, started off in the morning it clacked until I got there, never made the noise when I got there,or on the way home.
I don't feel real safe riding down the street with a broom stick to the engine and the other end in my ear tring to find the noise.
Oil pressure is 32-35 hot running down the road
When the noise started I changed the oil, had no metal
You think this is engine rested or possible compensator related?
Oh but the way it rpm related not speed related, meaning I can lug the engine and it makes the noise.
Maybe it's normal,

·
Just Ride
3,255 Posts
Does it start normally or noisy?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it start normally or noisy?
I know were your going with this. Yes, It pretty much starts normal (most of the time) yes I notice some kick back on starting,But nothing like I have read on bad comps, at times there is a different vibration that I'm starting to notice, mainly at idle,like the bike is almost missing out, and the cutting out back cylinder thingy do hicky is not engaged.
My guess is the comp is going bad, but everything I have read is mainly starting problems, or noise like marbles, at idle there is no noise in the primary. That's why I'm second guessing this,
Im a heavy truck mechanic by trade, I over see the shop of a large trucking company and also one of the mechanics, I don't like just swapping out parts to troubleshoot, to expensive to do, but I do know when you run into something you cant troubleshoot I'm not afraid to ask questions to people smarter then me, that's why I joined this forum.even if I have been a mechanic for 36 years.
So if you think the comp is going bad I might have to agree,
If I take it apart how can I be sure that is the problem, what will I be looking for besides broken parts or loose bolt,

·
Just Ride
3,255 Posts
You can tell by looking, the ramps will be scored and splines will have marks also.

·
Retired citizen
23,364 Posts
This might sound strange but check the simple things first.
Here's a few to check: Make sure the kickstand isn't hitting the primary cover or frame, missing rubber snubber.
Check the gas tank fasteners with a wrench.
Grab the fairing next to the speakers while holding the handlebar secure and try to move it back and forth. Might have broken inner fairing support brackets.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Check the rear chain sprockets. If the front ones bolt loosens off the sprocket moves on the spline and makes a rattle noise. It's a bugger to track down as it's almost intermittent.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Checked the fairing, heat shields, motor mounts, rubber bumpers, I shook, yanked, and tapped everything trying to get some noise. Nothing,
Riding season here is coming to a close soon, that's when I will pull the primary cover and check the comp.
Can a lifter bleed down or not be fully pumped up at 2100 rpms. That's what it really sounds like, the noise in sync with the rpm. Like a baseball card in the spoke.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Rev don't know if you have gotten any where with ur noise problem yet. My brother in law had a noise that he was chasing down on his '13 ultra. At the 4th dealer that he carried it to they finally found out that his main out put shaft in his transmission wasn't round. It cause his compensator and front bearing in his primary to go out. He is just shy of 12,000 miles on his. Hop this isn't ur problem to but from the way he talked the systoms sound the close. Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts