Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1344 Posts

·
On the loose
8,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I consider the muscle car era from the late 50's and cut off as of 71 from the manufacture stand point. That's the 1st year of drastic reductions in compression ratios to meet newly established emissions , this really cut the HP thus the demise of the really powerful muscle cars , by 74 they were all pooched out.

I was lucky enough to own a few in the day , as a teen I could pick these cars up used from $300 - $1300 depending on condition.

While the HP of today's muscle cars surpasses some of the 60's cars they don't have that sound , it's like your Harley , there's a distinctive sound that's unmistakably BA , each manufacture had a little different sound , being a GM guy I favored the Chevy , having 2 68 Chevelles , 1 Malibu , 1 SS396, a 67 Chevy II / Nova , 68 Pontiac Tempest ( think GTO , LeMans )

This video got me reminiscing and missing my old iron, this has that vary BA sound I'm talking about , and it just happens to be a 68 Chevelle :devil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o50PzLfR3NI

·
Registered
419 Posts
I passed up on one that was a 67, SS396 because they were asking $900 for it.
I thought is was worth $850 tops. So I passed on it. It was like new, low miles at about 20K, red with black vinyl top, red pin
stripe Goodyears, rally wheels... Yup, it was too much money.

Instead, I bought a new 1970 Z28 the following year. I still have that Z28.
:laughing

·
On the loose
8,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought is was worth $850 tops. So I passed on it. It was like new, low miles at about 20K, red with black vinyl top, red pin

Thats the Z28 to have , 2nd gen with the only true LT 1 350 , I think you did ok :thumb

·
Southern Redneck
1,094 Posts
When I was growing up we didn't have anything. So I would go to school and admire the cars of the kids that had one. My first vehicle was my first bike. Kind of funny my vehicle now only has 2 wheels. The 4 wheeled contraption at our place is my wife's. I had a 96 Corvette LT4, but had to trade it in with the Denali I was buying her get her the current GMC 1500 when they did the first round of layoffs at work and I took a demotion instead of layoff. The Vette was a fun commute to work vehicle.

·
Registered
11,631 Posts

Miss my 70 Z-28. I do think it was possessed some how. Every time I thought about selling her "The Mistress" Things would happen. Lost front brakes, threw the harmonic balancer off on freeway just missing the radiator, front universal lost a cap. Damn lucky drive shaft stayed in yoke. Replaced the joint. Then driveshaft had vibration, it was bent slightly after the universal came apart. Heard something fail on floor one night. Pushed the clutch in coming up to the main gate, whole thing fell on floor. It was hell trying get it out of gear lurching up to Security Cops. Glad the starter was strong enough to get her moving again in first and started up. Oh and starter did fall out in driveway not long after that.

Reactions: 67Duce and 1shot

·
Registered
22,152 Posts
My first car was a 72 Z-28 similar to this......it was 10 years old by the time I got it.

Mine had a black vinyl roof, black interior, a balanced & blueprinted #'s matching LT-1 with a 4 speed M-22 and a pontiac 10 bolt w/ detroit locker.
I wish I still had it....... sold it when I joined the Army :crying

·
Banned
71 Posts
I consider the muscle car era from the late 50's and cut off as of 71 from the manufacture stand point. That's the 1st year of drastic reductions in compression ratios to meet newly established emissions , this really cut the HP thus the demise of the really powerful muscle cars , by 74 they were all pooched out.

I was lucky enough to own a few in the day , as a teen I could pick these cars up used from $300 - $1300 depending on condition.

While the HP of today's muscle cars surpasses some of the 60's cars they don't have that sound , it's like your Harley , there's a distinctive sound that's unmistakably BA , each manufacture had a little different sound , being a GM guy I favored the Chevy , having 2 68 Chevelles , 1 Malibu , 1 SS396, a 67 Chevy II / Nova , 68 Pontiac Tempest ( think GTO , LeMans )

This video got me reminiscing and missing my old iron, this has that vary BA sound I'm talking about , and it just happens to be a 68 Chevelle :devil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o50PzLfR3NI
1969 is the last year of the Muscle cars . :nerd

·
Trashy Member
4,478 Posts
1969 is the last year of the Muscle cars . :nerd
Think 1970 Buick GS 455 Stage 1. Muscle cars were alive and well until 1973. I had way too many cars and trucks. Had a few grace car magazines too. First one was a 1970 Plymouth Roadrunner back in 1977. My pride other than my 1950 Chevy truck was this 1964 Malibu SS. That made it in Car Craft and Hot Rod. Built it in the 1970's and bought and sold it 3 times. The last being in 1995.

Attachments

·
Banned
71 Posts
Think 1970 Buick GS 455 Stage 1. Muscle cars were alive and well until 1973. I had way too many cars and trucks. Had a few grace car magazines too. First one was a 1970 Plymouth Roadrunner back in 1977. My pride other than my 1950 Chevy truck was this 1964 Malibu SS. That made it in Car Craft and Hot Rod. Built it in the 1970's and bought and sold it 3 times. The last being in 1995.
The '69 date will be debated back and forth forever methinks ........ :|

I had a '68 Dodge Charger that used to eat Roadrunners for breakfast . :fitz

Then I bought a '69 Cutlass 442 ............ now that car would pass everything except a gas station . 6 mpg if you feathered it . :|

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I wish I still had my 65 Impala SS396. Although when I had it, it had a built 454 in it! That car was a blast! It would hold the entire cheerleader squad... Lol

1 - 20 of 1344 Posts