Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok some of you know I have a project going on another bike. We I purchased a gas tank for that bike that has been previously sealed. I need to clean that sealer out and reseal it before I go any further with the tank. give me some knowledge on how to strip the inside of the tank and reseal it. Thanks

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Dave, check the search feature here. I seem to recall a few threads about that from before. I'm thinking about 5 years ago perhaps. If memory serves me correct, I think you pour in some chemicals, dump in a bunch of nuts & bolts, and shake vigorously until the cows come home. I'll look to see if I can find it, but someone else may step in and give you better guidance than me.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
If you are going to repaint the tank, save yourself a lot of work-take it to a radiator shop and have them clean it out.

If you are not repainting the tank, POR 15 makes a kit to remove the old liner, rust etc (you must be careful because the chemicals will destroy the paint).

A hand full of screws and the POR 15 will get that old liner out, but it is a serious amount of work.

·
Retired citizen
23,391 Posts
If the paint is of no concern use "ZipStrip" and a large key ring full of old keys then shake vigorously and let sit. Might have to do it several times. Finally use one of the sealer kits to reseal the tank.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
What Schmidty said, unless it was sealed with one of those "you can't remove" sealers. Then it's radiator shop time. If it's the light tan color sealer, acetone will remove it easily. With minimum shaking. You can use steel shot instead of keys if you want.

·
Retired citizen
23,391 Posts
The reason I now use keys on a ring is that they're much easier to get out of the tank than a bunch of nuts and bolts etc.. Any of the mentioned methods give the desired abrasive action.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I got some good ideas now to work with. I might start with the Acetone and bolts or keys and go from there. I dont know what it was sealed with but it is a light creme color.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts