Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What products do you recommend for cleaning a Harley? Also, any tips or tricks for cleaning wheels and spokes??? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,787 Posts
What products do you recommend for cleaning a Harley? Also, any tips or tricks for cleaning wheels and spokes??? Any advice would be much appreciated.

A lot depends on your bike model and how dirty you get it. But, generally speaking, you will find a jack or lift that gets the bike standing upright will be of tremendous value. Then you can roll around the bike on your little wheeled low sitting stool and wipe away. And I don't use anything but microfiber cloths--they won't scratch or leave swirl marks in your paint. Most of the time I only need a damp microfiber cloth and a dry one. Wipe and dry the painted items one area at a time, then use the same cloths on all the chrome. Lastly on the wheels although I save the microfibers and just use any old garage rag to get damp and wipe the wheels & tires.

·
American
28,658 Posts
Meguiars ultimate quick detailer - quick clean up
Meguiars Gold Class carnauba wax
Mothers chrome polish
Black Magic wheel cleaner

Clean microfiber towels
IMO

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
all I use is a good carwash liquid and warm water and wax a couple times a year she stays beautiful.:grin

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My motorcycle is a 2016 HD Softail Slim (my first bike). The manual recommends cleaning the wheels and spokes at least once a week to prevent the brake dust from corroding the spokes and wheels... If I purchased the Harley cleaning products and brushes it be over $200. I'm hoping you veterans have some better ideas for a rookie.

·
Registered
322 Posts
A lot depends on your bike model and how dirty you get it. But, generally speaking, you will find a jack or lift that gets the bike standing upright will be of tremendous value. Then you can roll around the bike on your little wheeled low sitting stool and wipe away. And I don't use anything but microfiber cloths--they won't scratch or leave swirl marks in your paint. Most of the time I only need a damp microfiber cloth and a dry one. Wipe and dry the painted items one area at a time, then use the same cloths on all the chrome. Lastly on the wheels although I save the microfibers and just use any old garage rag to get damp and wipe the wheels & tires.
The lift makes it soooo easy :smile

·
American
28,658 Posts
Nice bike. Brake dust is not your friend. As stated above, Black Magic..... I bought a long brush at Dollar General $1 !! Spray on, use brush if needed and rinse off. Wipe off with clean microfiber cloth. Works for me, you may find something else that works better for you.

X2 on a lift, much easier.

·
Registered
11,787 Posts
My motorcycle is a 2016 HD Softail Slim (my first bike). The manual recommends cleaning the wheels and spokes at least once a week to prevent the brake dust from corroding the spokes and wheels... If I purchased the Harley cleaning products and brushes it be over $200. I'm hoping you veterans have some better ideas for a rookie.

Shop the car care products available at Autozone, Pep Boys, etc.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Read the labels on metal cleaners and polishes, especially ones designated as wheel cleaners and tire cleaners. Some of the products designed to clean chrome can be corrosive on aluminum and cause streaking that's hard to correct. An old school product that has been resurrected by Eagle One is "Nevr Dull" metal polishing wadding. It's a cotton wadding saturated with a solvent/polish that we used to use on aircraft surfaces. I've been having good results with it on my bike on the chrome and aluminum. Simichrome cream in the tube is another good metal polish. Everybody seems to have their favorite product for paint and there are a lot of great products out there. Meguire's ranks right at the top of the popularity charts. IMO, the key is to keep the surfaces clean, so that the dirt can't stay on the surfaces too long and get imbedded. Lots of clean water and frqueent light polishing. Prevention is always better than remediation.

Be very wary of steel wool and 3M pads. They have their place but can damage chrome surfaces.

·
Registered
298 Posts
As Silverback suggested, Never Dull by Eagle One!! It works wonders on chrome. It is not a chrome polish, so it is not abrasive. It is a very, very effective cleaner. It leaves nothing at all over chrome surfaces; be it caked bugs, insects, tar, brake dust, mud, water stains, chemical blemishes, or whatever. It removes hard to see bulges as well. It leaves behind a perfectly smooth surface. Such a chrome surface shines with superb reflections. No need to scrub the chrome with polish unless it is scratched. Naturally, a cleaner cannot cure a scratch but you will be surprised to realize how seldom you actually need a polish. Most impurities on chrome are over the surface.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I use a microfiber cloth & Pimp Stixxx to get into all the hard to reach places.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Out here in Arizona my bike just gets dusty. So 99% of the time I use a Quick Detailer from Mequiar's. Does a great job and I even clen my wheels with it. PLUS !!! It's a whole lot easier keeping my 2014 HD Trike clean then is was any two wheeler I ever had ! :cheers

·
Registered
42,085 Posts
I like the Nevr Dull for aluminum and chrome, Meguiar's Quick Detailer for painted stuff.

Both available at Wally-World.

·
Registered
42,085 Posts

Be careful not to use aluminum polish on your forks and primary along with any other part that appears to be aluminum.

Those parts have a clear powdercoat on them. Just use a quick detailer spray and a microfiber cloth.

A metal polish will make that clear powdercoat turn dull.

I changed my chrome spokes out for stainless steel when I had my rim and hub powdercoated.

No worries about brake dust.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
Ride it. Have wife clean it.

Reactions: webco2

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts