Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use exo forma clean and shine? If so, does it work well? I am looking for a way to clean my bike without soap and water if possible. Any suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To make it easy this is basically the same response I made to the other 2 asses in the other forums. I don’t know anything about the product. I keep seeing it advertised and I was wondering if it worked. If it doesn’t that is good to know before I spend any money on it. I just got a bike and I am looking for ways to clean it. Which is what I thought this forum was about. As far as posting it to a couple different forums on here, yes i did. I am new to the group and didn’t know where to post it. If you don’t like the product that’s want I want to know and I am was looking for suggestions. You don’t have to be an ass about it.

·
Registered
683 Posts
What's wrong with soap and water? What are you going to do with gritty dirt without water? You ride in the rain right?
I clearly confused and NOT trying to be an a$$
I use S100 when I want a touch up without a full wash and wax when it's dusty. $12 and it works great.

·
American
26,513 Posts
Meguires Ultimate detailer
Lucas speed wax
Mothers Chrome polish
Meguires Gold Class Carnuba paste wax

All good products..... I never use Soap and Water. With the exception of cleaning tires and wheels.... Black Magic wheel cleaner and Bleach White..... rinse off with Water.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I will try those things. I am not against soap and water, just looking for other solutions too that may be quicker when I am short on time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Smoketown, thanks, I will post once and hope if it’s in the wrong place it gets moved.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I like BikeBrite for washing my bike and BugSlide for cleaning/polishing.

Reactions: Smoketown$1

·
Registered
38,444 Posts
I just picked up some Novus-1 after Tommy let me try some on my helmet visor. :thumb

And also got some Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax to try out after people giving ceramic waxes in general good reviews.

Also have some BugSlide to clean up with.

·
weird member
2,223 Posts
Usually, I just use glass cleaner (Invisible Glass) and those soft Viva paper towels for cleaning the chrome, or a plain, dry microfiber cloth (depending on how dirty: bugs and oil is glass cleaner, water spots is dry microfiber). If the painted parts (tanks, fenders) are dirty, I hit those with glass cleaner too (very lightly, usually just spray one pump directly onto the paper towel).

I just keep it waxed with Meguiar's carnuba wax and that usually helps keep it relatively clean. Hit the leather bits with Lexol leather cleaner and conditioner.

That's it. I don't clean the frame or the engine/case or try to maintain showroom level cleaning, and I don't usually clean it unless it looks really dirty. Usually, the only times I clean are lovebug season and if I ride in the rain (to protect the finish from acidic bug guts and any grime).

I park it in the garage and ride every day, and I really don't have to clean it often. However, I also don't live in a metropolitan area where the air is full of garbage, and I avoid farm roads during peanut harvesting.

Sure, I could do a better job, make it really lustrous and beautiful, but being a daily rider, that means constant cleaning, and I'm just not gonna do that. My bike may not look showroom new, but it doesn't look like garbage either. To me, anything that isn't a show piece just isn't worth the trouble of that level of detail. Even my guitars are the same way, and they're relatively expensive (though inexpensive for being custom guitars; two of them were around $1,500 and one was $3,000, though they would have been $2500 and $5500 if I got them from a major brand like Jackson).

None of my stuff looks dirty or like it hasn't been cared for though. I actually prefer it that way. If it looks brand new, any minor ding or scrape is that much more devastating to have happen. And trying to maintain that brand new look is stressful and a lot of work.

·
Registered
10,708 Posts
In decent weather I will ride at least some usually 3 days out of 4. And a couple of times a week I will slide the jack under my bike and just raise the jack enough to get the bike upright so I can roll all around it on my little wheeled stool. I take a damp microfiber cloth and wipe down one painted (tank, front fender, etc.) section at a time, dry that section with a dry microfiber cloth and move on to the next section. After all the painted sections are done I use the same 2 cloths to go over the chrome, pipes, bars and controls, etc. About every 2nd or 3rd time instead of a damp microfiber cloth I use a dry one and spray the section I am cleaning with Lucas Spray Mist--gives me a glossier shine than I have ever gotten with any kind of wax. And I don't need to use the Lucas spray every time cause it stays on for a while. I will never ever use regular wax again. My cleaning wipe down usually takes just about an hour, maybe a little less. Only occasionally do I do the front wheel. And unless I get the hose and wash bucket and S100 out to do the motor and tranny area, like it usually needs after an out of town trip, I don't do the rear wheel. Hard to get to, you can hardly see it, and apparently the previous owner also neglected the rear wheel cause it doesn't look real good but I'm not about to buy a new one.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
To make it easy this is basically blah blah blah You don’t have to be an ass about it.
It`s just cleaning a motorcycle... for crying out loud, just go wash the bike and figure it out for yourself, does not require a lot of research or whining.

The bike could have been clean by now...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Meguiars Ultimate Waterless Wash and Wax is the best spray product I have found for a quick clean and wax at the same time. To put on a nice slippery base, I used Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Thanks all good options
I use a mixture of items , spray( dry wash ) that I just polish off for when my trike isn't what I deem dirty in all honesty I choose nowadays not to ride in awful weather if I can which is difficult here in UK as we get more rain than sunshine but it is possible .
For the times I have been caught out I did buy one of these Bruhl MD1900+ Single Turbine Power Dryer
There are many differing makes on the market but this particular model / make was easy to get off the internet and came from a store not that far away from where I live ( think that was a fluke more than planned) but I can honestly say the power of the blower it just blows away any water droplets it has a heated option or cold air the heated option is more warm than hot but as I say it removes all signs of water , comes with 3 different shaped nozzles for air flow .
It doesn't leave any water spots so you can then wax / shine your pride and joy .

·
Registered
896 Posts
To make it easy this is basically the same response I made to the other 2 asses in the other forums. I don’t know anything about the product. I keep seeing it advertised and I was wondering if it worked. If it doesn’t that is good to know before I spend any money on it. I just got a bike and I am looking for ways to clean it. Which is what I thought this forum was about. As far as posting it to a couple different forums on here, yes i did. I am new to the group and didn’t know where to post it. If you don’t like the product that’s want I want to know and I am was looking for suggestions. You don’t have to be an ass about it.
First off, RKC13, i must say that the first post on the thread is worded quite "spammish" IMHO. The part quoted above provides a much more realistic question. Just sayin'.

I wont let my bikes out of the driveway dirty, i never have! Even when i was commuting 120 miles every day to work. The bike got a rag bath every evening. Then a bubble bath once a month in dry weather and anytime i get caught in the rain. I'm just weird that way.

The trick for bugs: Lay a wet towel or chammie (spelling?) on the surface, leave it there for 5 minutes, then just smear the bugs off and rise the rag for the next area.. this works great on windshields and helmets too..
Windshield and helmet visor only gets the above treatment fallowed by Plexus (that stuff is $$ but, worth it!) (Plexus is the only product used to clean military aircraft poly windows.)

My neighbor gave me a bottle of "Candy Coat" when he stopped over to take a look at my new to me Ultra. I have been using the stuff ever since. It works! Mist on the bike, microfiber wipe fallowed by a dry microfiber buff. Makes it look like i had spent all day detailing it. Start at the highest point and work to the lowest.

When the bikes do get a bubble bath, i never use a hose nozzle. Just rinse, mop, rinse. Then turn the leaf blower on and blow away ALL the water. Then a coat of carnuba wax, Chrome polish and Mothers for aluminum when needed.
I use S-100 on the black engines after every bubble bath. Just a light mist of this stuff on a clean dry engine keeps the black, BLACK until the next washing. Fallowed by the Candy Coat on all the chrome, plastic and tins. Because the Candy gets any wax swirl that i might have missed and gives it that final detailed look that i'm after.

I keep Plexus and a small Candy Coat wrapped in microfiber clothes in my saddle bags. Just-in-case.

This is my method and products i now use. It works for me. In the days before Candy Coat i used Lemon Pledge. Other choices are out there...

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
For Christ’s sake as stated earlier wash it and move on It’s a motorcycle not a show car!!!!

·
Registered
835 Posts
I like Bike Brite as stated in an earlier post. Here is a video link to go with it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts