Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
Windex works well on Chrome. I am using Lucas speed wax after a cursory wipe-down on the paint.

One thing I've noticed on chrome after using everything from regular towels, to micro-fiber, etc, is that simple t-shirt like material works best for finish work.

I only "Wash" my wheels. Everything else sees minimal liquid of any kind. For the wheels I use a power washer (very carefully). I may spray some simple green or a wheel cleaner on 'em, rinse, and wipe.

There is another thread from a day or so ago called "Detailing" (I think). Some people use Pledge and many other products. There was one called V7 I think, as well.

Use the search function and I'm sure you'll find several threads on it.

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
What is it, Ogre? Can't really see it.

·
Learning Member
466 Posts
Why would we hate you Ogre?

Seems there is no real authority . . . I would love to find one - everybody does what they do 'cause they think it is the right thing!

I've been using Stripper Juice on my chrome and I like 'cuz not only is it a cleaner but, it leaves a micro-finish which makes it easier to get bugs off later - or so I believe. As for washing . . . only wash after being caught in ugly weather - a little dish soap with a soft sponge (actually found a micro-fibre sponge) and a good rinse, give her a good blow dry, then I treat her to her regular dry cleaning . . . using Black Max Turtle wax on the paint (black bike dontchyaknow!).

·
Between Eternities
845 Posts
S100 Total Cycle Cleaner.

S100 Total Cycle Cleaner

Spray it on from its bottle on a cool bike.

Spray it off immediately with a pressure washer or garden hose.

Let it dry, then ride.

This is the best cleaning product I have ever come across; it is so easy to use that I can never contemplate changing for something else.

·
Learning Member
466 Posts
Ahhhhhh . . . right by me . . . didn't get the Honda thang at all . . .

And for me - if it works for you, that's all that matters anyway!

Carry on mate!

·
Registered
751 Posts
PLEDGE! It works great to keep paint and chrome clean. Most people like the lemon scented.

I found the quick wash from HD works good. It has a slight foaming action that doesn't run like windex. I don't like hitting my bike with water unless I have to. If it is real dirty I can rinse it off with water.

One thing I have to say is the Poly Glaze from HD is AMAZING as a wax. I got some to try it, and the after effect is nothing short of amazing. My bike is painted Big Blue Pearl, and it looks dull unless clean and in the sun. With that wax you need welding goggles to look at it in the sun.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Need to add..

I always use an old cotton T-shirt to clean with. I cut them up into smaller sizes. Old socks work well too.

So far everything still looks brand new. Maybe I'm just cheap, but it works.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
+1 on Wizard products. They all work very well. I like the metal polish. It looks like pink cotton candy. It comes in a Band Aid box. You pull off a small piece polish up whatever your cleaning then use an old "T" shirt to finish up. Works great!

·
Senile Member
1,710 Posts
For washing,
I uses a 1 quart garden sprayer that I connect to the hose. I put some dish soap or Harley wash in there and spray the bike down and let it sit for a few minutes. Then dump the rest of the spray bottle contents into a bucket of water and put on my soap mitt and wipe the bike down. Once that’s done, I hose it all down. Next I break out the blower and blow the water down off the bike, staying away from the stereo. I do the left side and right back and forth a couple times to chase the water back and forth down to the ground. At that point I’m outta here unless I wanna detail it. Then I get a polish and do the chrome and a wax and do the paint.

Wheels, I use what’s left in my cleaning bucket (soap and water) and an assortment of brushes. I like to scrub the side wall and rim, then the inner rim and hub, then rinse off.

For quick cleaning,
I use a spray product from Harley that is good on paint and chrome that is like Pledge. The idea is that the stuff kinda loosens and lifts or emulsifies the dirt and suspends it so it minimizes scratches when you wipe it off. Wipe with one cloth then use a clean side or new cloth to dry and polish so you’re not rubbing the dirt in that you just lifted off. S100, Pig Spit or Snot and other stuff is good too I think. All of this works well with the wax you may already have on there. It doesn’t strip the wax off.

If you have any polished aluminum, don’t use citric cleaners on it or it will eventually mar the aluminum. I learned the hard way with my Dyna. I sprayed some citrus cleaner on there and had a problem with my spray nozzle and fiddled with it for a few minutes. When I sprayed the citrus cleaner off, I marred my aluminum.

Always hand dry your stereo and dash off.

·
Go Army!
632 Posts
Go to a local store and buy a gallon of DISTILLED water. No minerals to cause spotting on the bike and chrome. Pour 1 quarter of the bottle in a bucket with a 1/2 cap full of quality car soap. Using a cleaning pad (I use Scotch-Brite brand pads called "Dobie". It scours the bugs and guts off without scracthing). Wash the bike then rinse off with the remaining distilled water for spot-free wash. Wipe dry with a micro-fiber cloth. Touch up with ammonia free windex. For deep cleaning of the chrome, I use a H-D Clean & Shine.

·
The Fighting Chicken
4,006 Posts
Question-

I have excessive bugs on my fairing and front end but the rest of the bike is clean. Would using Simple Green and a wet rag strip the Chrome and Paint of the Wax protection?

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
Question-

I have excessive bugs on my fairing and front end but the rest of the bike is clean. Would using Simple Green and a wet rag strip the Chrome and Paint of the Wax protection?
In that case, I usually just lay a warm wet towel over the bug area and let it sit for a few (2 beerz) mins.

Wipe,rince,repeat. Wax is safe.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Question-

On a shadier area spray soapy water over the area and cover with a wet soft rag or t-shirt and wait 30 minutes...Then scrub them off your paint and chrome...rince, dry and wax...

·
Señor Member
19,586 Posts
S100 Total Cycle Cleaner.

S100 Total Cycle Cleaner

Spray it on from its bottle on a cool bike.

Spray it off immediately with a pressure washer or garden hose.

Let it dry, then ride.

This is the best cleaning product I have ever come across; it is so easy to use that I can never contemplate changing for something else.
There's no drying or finishing necessary, Chicken??!! Like, looks shiny without detailing it??!! Do tell!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts