Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to know how much clearance is needed between bottom of inner primary case and frame on a 1999 Ultra Classic. It is maybe 3/16th " now and contact occurs between the two and transmits lots of vibration to frame..plus makes a loud rattling noise at anything above an idle..all mounts have been replaced and mounts checked. The point that it is touching is directly below the front primary sprocket.
Thank you for any advice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm going to answer my own question....maybe it will help someone in the future with the same problem since on one had any ideas.
The minimum clearance between the bottom of the primary case and the frame on a 1999 Ultra Classic is one quarter of an inch....

·
Road Glide
348 Posts
not sure why you were asking the question, but the cause is possibly the front motor mount, twin cams seem to eat them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vibration

Thanks for the replies. We have replaced all mounts (swingarm isolators and front mount) and did have to shim the front mount to get the proper clearance from the frame. No part of the engine-trans-or exhaust is touching the frame but still have excessive vibration present.
We are going to load it up and take it to a friend at one of the Harley shops to check it out and see his thoughts. This one belongs to my Dad....my 93 Wide Glide is as smooth as anyone could ask for....used to ride the Shovels....lot of difference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts