Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rolling up to a stoplight last night and let off on the throttle and something sounded like it come unwound. Now it has a click only when the rear wheel is turning. Pulled outer primary cover off and nothing broke or pieces anywhere. Now when I turn the rear wheel it feels like it catches and then when it finally moves I get the click or clack. Does NOT make the noise with just the engine running. Only when back wheel is turning. Any ideas?

·
Banned
71 Posts
Rolling up to a stoplight last night and let off on the throttle and something sounded like it come unwound. Now it has a click only when the rear wheel is turning. Pulled outer primary cover off and nothing broke or pieces anywhere. Now when I turn the rear wheel it feels like it catches and then when it finally moves I get the click or clack. Does NOT make the noise with just the engine running. Only when back wheel is turning. Any ideas?
STOP...Until you inspect the wheel bearings .

·
Retired citizen
24,277 Posts
I would jack the rear wheel off the ground and turn the wheel to locate where the sound is coming from. Wiggle the wheel side to side to check for bearing play and pay attention to the brake caliper and rotor. Also check the belt during rotation, might have gotten a stone or something lodged in the belt.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not coming from the wheel. Sounds like tyranny and even timing cover. It's in the drivetrain somewhere. Motor is fine. Only makes the noise up front when turning wheel.

·
Hard Member
3,255 Posts
Primary bearing? Transmission? Drain your transmission amd check for metal if none then it's the primary bearing

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've drained the transmission fluid and NO shavings or anything. I'm not so sure it's not the detent (sp) spring. Local Indy is picking it up today.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts