Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1999 1200 sportster xl had stator, reglator , ign modgul. and tip over sencer put in rode 96 miles now tac going crazy bike shut down and have no fire to plugs

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I'd take everything you had put on, off. Re-install checking all the wire connections carefully as you go.

Then if it's still a no-go. Service manual and trouble shooting check list.

You did edit the date for the bike didn't you? or am I going crazy!!

·
Retired citizen
23,203 Posts
Take the tach wire off the coil and try starting the engine and / or check for spark. If the tach goes bad it shorts the coil and then no spark.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tach wire

ty schmidtys tried that still no fire untill i take all fuses out and put them back in then she purrs like a kitten then dies after bout 1/10 of mile

·
Retired citizen
23,203 Posts
Check for codes. Hold the speedo trip button in and turn the ignition on until the diagnostics shows in the odometer window. Toggle the button through the diagnostics and record the codes. Codes are a sticky in the electrical section.
Test the battery static volts across the terminals, should read at least 12.8v.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
codes

all codes show to be clr have a cal 19 in it tho and the volts in batt are 12.9 with it at fast idle its 14.4

·
Just Ride
3,205 Posts

·
Retired citizen
23,203 Posts
all codes show to be clr have a cal 19 in it tho and the volts in batt are 12.9 with it at fast idle its 14.4
Is there B+ (12.9v) at the coil terminal with the ignition on ?
If the coil has B+ and isn't discharging the ignition cam sensor isn't triggering the discharge. OR the wiring from the cam sensor is messed up someplace. OR the timer cup behind the cam sensor is loose.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts