Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,059 Posts
Also, who adjusted the primary? Hopefully they got the level and fluid type right when they refilled your primary. There is also a chance they threw off a clutch adjustment when they were tweaking around in there. I agree that some clunk is normal I would still be a bit weary. You can get more life out of your clutch and clutch basket by keeping everything as smooth as possible.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,315 Posts
1st and 2nd clunk. 3rd on up not as noticeable. Take it back to the dealer if in doubt.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
It's the nature of the transmission design. It has no synchronizers like a car transmission. If you hold the clutch in for a few seconds before shifting it helps when shifting into first at a start.

One thing I have learned to do is to give the lever a nice, clean whack. Don't try to ease into it. It just makes it worse. I have learned to live with the clunk. Embrace the clunk. It is part of the H-D experience!!

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,315 Posts
Chasearms is correct on the technique. I try to double clutch on the downshift to reduce shear/shock (manual synchronize).

Redline is an excellent lubrication. Be sure to get the correct formula for the tranny. They have one for the motor and I think a separate one for the clutch. (I used Harley's plus for the clutch)

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
If you are not happy with the clunk, you aren't going to be any happier using Redline. It will still clunk. I tried it.

Redline does quieten the transmission - especially the gear whine at speed. It's good stuff - a very high quality synthetic lubricant - but, it isn't magic. It'll still clunk when you knock it in gear.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't mind the clunk.. I just purchased this bike.. And it's a noise I wasn't used to hearing.. The guy I got it from said he just had it serviced and it was a little louder than he remembered it.. So I think I'm going to Change all 3 lubricants just for piece of mind.. Thanks all..

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 15 of 15 Posts