Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
On the loose
8,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The weather turned out better than expected today so of course I had to ride.

About 5mi out of town on 2 lane county rd, I'm cruising @ 60mph and a freakin deer jumps outa the ditch and runs out in front of me :whoa

I hit both brakes, locked the rear, I heard it screeching and just about got sideways with a little wobble prolly still doing 45mph ,the deer cleared my path just in time to release the brakes and get under control, I think I was a split second from either tumbling or impacting the deer :bowrofl:

Stay alert out there if you live in deer country , I'd a probley hit it if I hadn't seen it a little before it got to the road.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Thanks for the post, you are right if you are in deer country, you can't be too careful.

·
Guitarslinger
3,316 Posts
good job on the braking, glad you missed it.

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,082 Posts
Damn deer!

Good on you for holding it together. Now go wash out yer' britches.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Nearly the same thing happened to me today, except it was 55 mph and a little old lady crossing the highway. I was back far enough that I didn't lock anything up, but it still made me pucker quite a bit. A second or two closer and I might have t-boned her.

·
Try'n to behave
5,846 Posts
Them deerz is wiley creatures. Sometimes I think they are trying to commit suicide and take us with them on their trip.

Good on ya for keeping it together!

Just about everywhere is deer country. You might be surprised where they live. I would say that the only ones safe from these vicious creatures are those that live (and never leave) in downtown Manhattan, or Central LA (or someplace similar), because the deer live on the outskirts of those places too.

·
Banned
482 Posts
If you are able to see a long legged rat, don't assume it will stay put. They are totally unpredictable. May turn and leave, may jump out well ahead of you or may wait and bolt when you get to it. You just never know. That's if your lucky enough to even see it. Most just appear in your lap. I'd say they are simply trying to kill us. Plain and simple. The hunters are not keeping their population in check in our area. They are expanding drastically. BE ALERT!

·
Try'n to behave
5,846 Posts
How about one of those deer alert whistles? Do those things work?
I think those things actually call deer TO you.... jksign.gif

Actually, there is no evidence of effect either way.

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
Not trying to hi-jack this thread......true story. My Son hit a deer comming home from work a couple months ago, he threw it in his truck and took it home to clean.....he posted a pic on facebook......and guess who showed up in his driveway about an hour later........yep...gamewarden. carefull what you post on facebook...

·
Señor Member
19,666 Posts

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
Maybe you should frame those shorts, that was one long skidmark.......:laugh....glad ya missed that sucker.

·
Try'n to behave
5,846 Posts
Oh god... not the deer whistle thread. :DeadHorse:
Mount them on your helmet and go "WOOO, WOOO, WOOO" as you ride down the rode. It also helps to twirl one of those New Years noise makers as you do this. It really helps keep them away.

:laugh:laugh

1 - 20 of 31 Posts