Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very grateful to be alive and well, not a scratch on me or my scoot. The green eyed effers are out there not just at dusk or dawn. If you think those videos of them coming up on a rider out of no where are B.S. think again. They come out that fast, never saw him/her until it ran out not 10 feet in front of me. No time to react. Only smart thing I can say I did was have my helmet on. Be safe out there!!

·
Registered
10,678 Posts
Several nights a week I go for an after dinner ride in the adjacent semi-rural county. Always lots of critters around but seems like the deer have gotten more active lately. Much too early for the rut. Maybe 2 evenings ago I was on the two lane main state highway, just cruising about 60-62, and about 30-40 yards ahead of me a really beautiful large buck with a nice rack all covered in velvet came flying across the highway. Wasn't even a close call but...., could have been so different.

Glad yours was a "miss".

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,214 Posts
No deer near misses here......yet! I know there is a pretty large herd living in the adjacent (to my property) bird sanctuary, and we have seen as many as 50 at a time coming to my little pond for a drink in the evenings, but they have been staying clear of the roads. Now DOGS on the other hand...….
Bruce, glad yours was a close call instead of a report from the ER.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At 60 m.p.h. I'm glad it was a miss too. Had I left the gas station, house or whatever a few seconds later... could have been bad. My shorts and my seat will never be the same....

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Glad he missed you, Gold. Stay alert.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Try'n to behave
5,642 Posts
Glad to hear it was only a near miss instead of even a light strike!

Was riding through Georgia yesterday thinking about this very thing.

·
American
26,357 Posts
Yup..... corn is up and they are impossible to see until they bolt out onto the road. Glad you're alright and didn't get hit..... good friend of mine wasn't so lucky last year!

·
luv the low country
19,250 Posts
Now you see it, now you don't. Those are the best kind. Had the same happen to me last year riding the back roads near here. Makes it pucker for sure.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Three days ago rode thru a local forested area, 2 deer ran across in front of me with plenty of room so it was just cool to see them. A small bird flew low and fast across the road. Saw him coming from the left and it seemed like we were on an intercept course. Didn't see him on the right so he might have kamikazed on me. Suicide by Harley. Two days ago went on part of a military base that is open to the public. Heavily wooded area. Two turkeys ran onto the road in front of us, not too close. A hawk swooped down at us, or towards us. Saw him out of my peripheral vision and when I looked his way he flared and turned off. He was so close I heard him flapping his wings, must have been only 4-5 feet away and 2-3 feet over our heads. A little later three deer shot out of the woods from right to left close, but not so close I didn't have time to scrub off a lot of speed to avoid them. Then I noticed the small buck still on the right side. He got my full attention but he just watched us ride by.

I like seeing wildlife when riding. But it was so cool seeing a chinook helicopter carrying a large artillery piece!

·
Registered
168 Posts
There were several of these critters in the road down by Cherokee last spring. Bouncing off one of these will leave a mark.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Proud Infidel
2,773 Posts
There were several of these critters in the road down by Cherokee last spring. Bouncing off one of these will leave a mark.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
That'll certainly ruin your day.

Sent from here to there.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Sunday evening I watched 6 fawns with their does move along the edge of my lawn and back into the trees. I'm no expert, but it seems kinda late in the summer for them to still have their spots? I'm seeing alot of young road kill as well.

Sent from my coal fired bag phone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts