Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. Changed oil in primary. Put in Mobil 1 see how it works. I adjusted clutch @ basket 1/2 turn out on screw. Clutch handle 1/16th. Same as always on the settings. Now the clutch starts to engage at little more than half of total movement of the lever. I don't like it engaging that far out. Re adjusted it other day cold engine same adjustment's. Little better but not much. Before changing oil it was engaging about middle of lever travel. So whats up with extra movement? Is it oil ? No slippage. Shifts firmly at full throttle. Had HD Primary oil in it. Original clutch 33K miles. Getting worn out ? Any pearls of wisdom appreciated.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Hi guys. Changed oil in primary. Put in Mobil 1 see how it works. I adjusted clutch @ basket 1/2 turn out on screw. Clutch handle 1/16th. Same as always on the settings. Now the clutch starts to engage at little more than half of total movement of the lever. I don't like it engaging that far out. Re adjusted it other day cold engine same adjustment's. Little better but not much. Before changing oil it was engaging about middle of lever travel. So whats up with extra movement? Is it oil ? No slippage. Shifts firmly at full throttle. Had HD Primary oil in it. Original clutch 33K miles. Getting worn out ? Any pearls of wisdom appreciated.
Back it out a full turn . Adjust cold . :)

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,055 Posts
So it wasn't broke and you fixed it. Hmmmmm.

:D

--

·
Mississippi Cajun
25,211 Posts
About the only thing you left out of the descritption of what you did that is in the book is those 3 squeezes of the clutch lever to set the balls in the clutch ramp. Not sure if that would make a difference.

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So it wasn't broke and you fixed it. Hmmmmm.

:D

--
Good one, always have to tinker.

Yep I did add slack too the cable first. Gave it a squeeze make sure balls :eek were ok.

·
Mississippi Cajun
25,211 Posts
OK, Bill, as long as you did the ol Ball Squeeze.....

·
Methhead
2,574 Posts
Always do it cold. Give the cable plenty of slack. Bust the jam nut loose, back out adjustment screw a turn or so and turn back in until you feel it get some resistance then back off a 1/2 to full turn. Tighten jam nut while holding adjustment screw in place. Squeeze lever 3x and bring the slack out of it. Done.

I'm pretty sure there are ways to fine tune where your lever will have your friction point, but I haven't the slightest idea how to do it. Mine starts grabbing around the halfway mark as well.

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, Bill, as long as you did the ol Ball Squeeze.....
:rollin:cheers

Mentioned the Ball squeeze to my GF, she said later and turned red...

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well here is where Im at. I drained out the Mobil 1. Nothing strange came out with oil. Put HD Primary lube in. Loosened up the cable adjustment till it stopped. Adjusted internal screw 1/2 turn out. Squeezed them balls 3 times. Have 1/16 at the lever. Clutch engages a little quicker and firmer than with the Mobil 1. Now it always clunks going into gear. Before the fluid changes I could get it drop in almost silently. Put Belray gear saver 80wt in trans, same as before. Yep did it cold.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts