Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter has a 2006 Superglide, the 35th anniversary version. I'm storing it for her while she and her husband are stationed in Okinawa. The bike is about 8 months old and has about 300 miles on it. (I ride it once a month!) The clutch is dragging and the manual says to take it to the dealer (~150 miles away) to have it adjusted. Can anyone tell me how to adjust the clutch on this beast? I can't believe it is all that difficult. TIA.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Is the clutch hydraulic or cable operated? I'm going to guess cable because of the dragging and if so there should be an adjusting sleeve close to the control end on the bars.

·
Registered
212 Posts
If it's cable you should find a rubber sleeve that covers two jamb nuts with a center adjuster sleeve. If the clutch drags when pulled all the way in you want to lengthen the cable.

·
Registered
39,458 Posts
1) Remove the 5 torx screws from the clutch inspection cover.
2) Remove and discard gasket, per the service manual. (Although I have re-used mine with no leaks)
3) Adjust the cable adjuster to add slack in the cable.
4a) Loosen lock nut on clutch adjuster screw. (not to be confused with the cable adjuster.)
4b) Turn adjustment rod inward until lightly seated, then activate the clutch lever to ensure the bearings are seated in their ramps.
5) Back out adjustment rod 1/2 to 1 full turn, then tighten jam nut to 72 - 120 in-lb while holding adjusting rod with an allen wrench.
6) Squeeze clutch lever several times to set bearing ramp release mechanism.
7) Adjust clutch cable to obtain 1/16" - 1/8" of free play.
8) Install clutch inspection cover and new gasket if you decided to replace it.

Paraphrased from service manual.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, Guys!

Someone pointed out to me that the clutch on the Harley drags when the engine is off, but works properly when the engine is running. This may have been the problem as I noticed it when moving the bike while it was in gear. Is this the case?

·
Registered
39,458 Posts
I can tell the difference between moving my bike in gear vs being in neutral.... I'd say start it up and see how the clutch feels. If it starts to engage at an acceptable point on clutch release, its fine. I cant see how the clutch would be out of adjustment with only 300 miles, but stranger things have happened.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts