Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Hard Member
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just opened my primary derby cover and found a loose bolt on clutch assembly. Anyone knows the torque on those bolts? Should I use thread lock?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
South GA *******
3,898 Posts
If what you're describing is the diaphragm spring retainer bolts..... 90-110 in-lbs per H-D specs. Also I think they are metric. Hope this helps.

·
Hard Member
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Attachments

·
Hard Member
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, thanks for your reply! Now, here we go, I posted on a thread that I spent $2,800 on a complete reconditioning job due to a leaking inner primary gasket. When I received the bike back I noticed a leak under the bike. Found outer primary bearing seal leaking. I spoke with the mech about it, he told me to continue monitoring the primary oil. And during check today surprise! Can I trust this guy? Thinking about doing the whole re-work myself. Anyone interested in a hands on bike repair? I will throw in food and beer.

·
South GA *******
3,898 Posts
Hate to hear that. If you were near by, I would be glad to help. If you're mechanically inclined and have the service manual, you could prob do it yourself.

·
Hard Member
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Baggerboy nailed it.

Clutch diaphragm bolts are 8mm just like Asian bike design. 90-110 INCH lbs torque. Actually less than 10 ft/lbs. Hand tight plus a smidge.....not a nudge....not a grunt.

Either tech hand tightened and forgot to torque, or just forgot one.

I usually do two passes on circular items like this to avoid missing ONE.

Here's my take: Everyone f's up. I'm no different. The guy could have been up all night with a sick kid, or a wife that nags louder than a 502 BB with no exhaust......

Its a small error. You found it. If there was a huge grenade issue......then you bitch.

Next time there......show tech pic and mention it to him. I'm willing to bet he'll apologise.

If you want whole repair checked, I bet you could be here on any given day by lunch, one hour cool down, 2 hour torque check, and home by 6pm......... :D

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts

·
Hard Member
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Hard Member
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
But rice and beans, a juicy steak, spit roasted pork shoulder.... hunger.....

·
Registered
252 Posts
I agree with Dave 63, people make mistakes, human nature. I would think after putting these large amounts of money into that bike, if your mechanic did make a mistake and fesses up to it then he needs to make it right. When I had my own auto shop, I got a few customers from other shops, because of this type of workmanship. Yes people make mistakes and no one is perfect, but with that being said, people who do this type of mechanical work need and charge people for said work they need to be on top of things as this can cause more costly damage or life. I took my work very seriously because of that responsibility. I used to work with and see guys re install wheels and just run the lugnuts on with an air gun. I would run the lugnuts on slowly with the air gun to speed up the progress but always and I mean always torque the wheels to make certain they were tight and to specs. Over a period of time over tightening can stretch threads and create other issues. If it calls for a torque, I torqued it.

·
Hard Member
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well Ron, going at it myself on Wednesday, have to get the parts from HD first. Little woman is talking crap and when I said I am doing it she was short on telling me how deficient I am. Kills me to hear her thinking that I am no good, but I do things for her. Might let her have it soon.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Well Ron, going at it myself on Wednesday, have to get the parts from HD first. Little woman is talking crap and when I said I am doing it she was short on telling me how deficient I am. Kills me to hear her thinking that I am no good, but I do things for her. Might let her have it soon.

Oooooooo.......ego-wrenching. I feel ya. Maybe I should pm my digits in case you get into a snag.

Willing to bet, if this goes south, she may request the man-card be revoked or suspended.

That's gonna be painfull......

·
Super Moderator
4,901 Posts
Just let her say what ever and chalk everything up to the language barrier. I have to remind myself all the time that my wife has to translate everything from German to English it her head before saying it. She obviously thinks you are good enough to marry. I also know that both of our wives were perfectly happy back home so it isn't like they married us just so they can live in Fburg Va. I have a teleconference Wednesday but I will see if I can do it from home and help wrench. If it goes south you can blame it on me to redirect the wrath.

·
Hard Member
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oooooooo.......ego-wrenching. I feel ya. Maybe I should pm my digits in case you get into a snag.

Willing to bet, if this goes south, she may request the man-card be revoked or suspended.

That's gonna be painfull......
Thanks Dave. Make sure the backyard is clear of snakes so I can pitch my camper. Haha! Anything can help at this time

1 - 20 of 29 Posts