Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
'88 883 Sportster. This locknut simply will not tighten up. I can't seem to keep the cable from spinning when I try to tighten the damn thing, and as a result it keeps slowly leaking fluid. What am I doin wrong here?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
245 Posts
It sounds like the case might be stripped. Check the O-ring on the end of the cable, where it enters the case. This is likely where your leak is from. O-rings a cheap, so replace every time. The fact the cable nut keeps turning suggests the threads in the case are stripped out. Short of finding a used case on EBay or Craigslist you can try to use liquid thread sealant. Like Permetex Teflon, I might try a pipe sealant like plumbers use on threaded fittings.
REMEMBER! Fasteners are at least Grade 2, cases are Aluminum, and the service manual lists torques for a reason. Sometimes snug is tight!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Señor Member
19,598 Posts
I think wingnut is on the money here. Threaded aluminum is not real strong; the threads on the fastener are. Turn too much and it'll dig out the threads on the cover.

It will leak until you replace that cover, I suspect.

Thread sealer may slow it, but, if start looking for a cover now. Sorry for the bad news. Let us know what you do and good luck.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Willie, I don't know. I just looked up Heli-coil to see what you meant...I don't have any experience with it, but it may be an option. I'm about to go remove the primary cover and take a look.

·
Just Ride
3,036 Posts
When you pull the primary and if it is stripped, you might try J B weld. Mix,fill hold then screw a bolt the size in and let it cure. Take the bolt out, put clutch cable back in. There are other stripped thread solutions on the market.
Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,016 Posts
Fritz, won't the bolt fuse with the JB Weld?

·
Just Ride
3,036 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Once you pull it, if the JB weld doesn't work take it to a shop and I'm pretty sure they can put a Heli-coil in for ya.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
A Helicoil would work or you may be able to find someone who could bore out the hole and re-thread it for a solid thread insert like a timesert that is tapped to the correct threads on its inner. Or just have a welder fill in the hole completely and re-drill and tap it.

My guess is that it would cost as much as it would to just toss the cover and pick up another one used on ebay or similar.

·
Just Ride
3,036 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All possibilities. I gotta call the shop back tomorrow and see what they think about it (I'm gna have them check some other stuff too). Also know a couple welders.

Fritz, the trans problem was from the accident. But I hadn't noticed a leak there til I put trans fluid in last week. I'm done everything else on it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
when you replace the c/cable butter lube the "O" ring with #2 permatex sealant wwhen you install it.let it cure overnight. this will seal that area if you have any casting imperfectins.
this works good for the carb manafold "O" ring installation also( use RTV). just have someone else hold the manafold level as you tighten the clamps; don't overtighten. let it cure overnight.then re-install the carb.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts